We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning - border queues

Which Gibraltar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Spain
reviews: 58
Warning - border queues

Just a quick note to anyone who is thinking of driving into Gibraltar for a day trip etc. The length of the queues is something which has long been debated on this forum and the truth is you can never predict them. However, this last week they have been reaching 5 hours to cross the border and have been spreading the length of Gib to Europa Point. I would urge people to leave their cars on the Spanish side of the border if possible and walk in or take advantage of a taxi / tour..

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 54
11. Re: Warning - border queues

Thank you so much for that webcam. It's good to know. we'll see where we will spend the night...I think all will be down to that.

Cornwall
reviews: 175
12. Re: Warning - border queues

Try Con Dios in the Marina, it is a change from your average B&B

Dublin, Ireland
13. Re: Warning - border queues

This is in Gibraltar, or across the border?

Halifax, Canada
reviews: 2
14. Re: Warning - border queues

I am wondering much the same thing- is it worth it to stay on the Spanish side as prices and ratings seem better vs. in Gibraltar? If we leave the car and walk across the border should we expect delays?

Gibraltar
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
reviews: 8
15. Re: Warning - border queues

There shouldn't be any queues crossing the border as a pedestrian. The hotel Asur in La Linea represents much better value for money than the overpriced establishments in Gibraltar, and is only a short stroll to the border.

Con Dios is a boat, permanently moored at Marina Bay, Gibraltar. It provides cheaper accommodation, if sleeping on a boat, in the middle of a noisy marina is your thing.

Dublin, Ireland
16. Re: Warning - border queues

Thank you for clarifying that for me. We will think about our options but as I saw, the prices are considerably lower and the ratings are a bit higher. Thank you for the info as it is easier for us to choose.

Dublin, Ireland
17. Re: Warning - border queues

Can anyone explain where is this wasteland where you can park the car? We might leave the car there. Is it safe for over-night? Thanks you!

San Diego
18. Re: Warning - border queues

Hello, We are renting a car to tour Spain. Along the way we are stopping in to Gibraltar to get married.

Can anyone tell me if the lines are predictable for the following times of day in May?

Wednesday late afternoon early evening to cross into Gibraltar.

Saturday 9-10am to cross back into Spain.

Any information would be greatly helpful in planning our timeline to get in and out of Gibraltar.

Thank you for all information! :)

Edited: 2:21 pm, April 17, 2013
Sotogrande, Spain
reviews: 58
19. Re: Warning - border queues

pridemorosan - 'wasteland' is just outside the border - just off the last roundabout as you approach Gib. Wasteground, usually with people taking money (couple of euros) during the day. Its fine to park in overnight as long as you take basic care and don't have a flash car.

Btw - still thinking of where to stay? Write off every hotel in Gib. Price vs quality is horrific. Better at the ones in La Linea. Allows you to day visit Gib and then go for the better food in LL.

bballprincess - eh congrats :)

Weds afternoon is usually fine for crossing into Gib - better around six than earlier. Saturday is always weird - can be up and down (think lots of people could be leaving for the weekend). However queues at the moment are not particularly bad when we've popped through.

20. Re: Warning - border queues

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, April 20, 2014