We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has sitges changed due to the recession?

Which Sitges hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Barcelona, Spain
reviews: 7
Has sitges changed due to the recession?

I have read on the Internet that sitges has changed and is now not safe. I have read reports of people getting mugged in broad daylight. We went. In 20010 and 2011 and it was fine, but people say it isn't any more.

Want to return this year.

14 replies to this topic
Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight
reviews: 169
1. Re: Has sitges changed due to the recession?

Can you provide links to the reports please?

I did read last year of someone getting mugged or beaten up near El Cid, but this was very late at night. We stayed in Sitges for a month sept/oct last year - as we do every year- and encountered no problems whatsoever, nor did we meet or hear of anyone who had problems during our stay. We will be returning this september as usual.

Edited: 5:57 pm, February 15, 2013
camberley
reviews: 15
2. Re: Has sitges changed due to the recession?

We have been the last two Septembers and have booked to go again this September. We were out till late most mornings and did hear of a couple of problems which is most probably not unusual for any town in Spain or the UK unfortunatelly. The problem that was mentioned a few times was taking the train from Barcelona to Sitges and with passports, money etc being taken during the rush to get on the train but Sitges itself seems generally safe.

Edited: 6:52 pm, February 15, 2013
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
reviews: 10
3. Re: Has sitges changed due to the recession?

Some bad things happen now and then in Sitges or anywhere else. I did not heard nothing from my friends living there. We keep visiting often without special concerns.

(Btw, I remember a nasty incident that happened to a schoolmate on the way home after class, when he was mugged by a junkie... It happened near the Sitges train station if I remember well... this was in 1979-80!)

Barcelona, Spain
4. Re: Has sitges changed due to the recession?

Thanks for your replies everyone. You have put my mind at rest and we have now booked to go back again this year. It's such a lovely place and we are really looking forward to it.

By the way, this was one of the articles I read:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187502-i659-k5756…

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight
reviews: 169
5. Re: Has sitges changed due to the recession?

Ah yes Tom. That was the same as post I'd read.

london
reviews: 52
6. Re: Has sitges changed due to the recession?

Yes im going this week, friends there got robbed at elprat de llobratt station where you change trains in the daytime

I last year heard of

2 people robbed by spa in town

West Sussex
reviews: 97
7. Re: Has sitges changed due to the recession?

No not really. Sitges is no different than anywhere else and the usual caution you would take anywhere will suffice.

Liverpool
reviews: 75
8. Re: Has sitges changed due to the recession?

I've been going to Sitges for 10 years and have always felt safe, and never had any trouble.

It's one of those things, as other people have said. It's a working town with a normal population. Anything could happen, but I wouldn't say it is any worose than anywhere else in Spain. I would probably say that it is safer.

Derby, United...
reviews: 54
9. Re: Has sitges changed due to the recession?

I have visit sitges for the past 5 summers and during the last visit I did notice a major change in sitges - when I was there many of my friends had been mugged late at time - mobile phones and money were taken. There was people standing in the street selling drugs - I really was shocked by the changes - you need to be careful when you are out at night time, do not bring out mobile phones or excessive amounts of money as this will increase your chances of getting mugged = just wish the police would do something about it as its going to ruin this lovely place

Barcelona, Spain
10. Re: Has sitges changed due to the recession?

Thanks for all your posts. Just returned from Sitges and am pleased to be able to confirm that it was as lovely as ever. We didn’t go out late, so can’t vouch for what it is like in the early hours, but certainly during the day and evening it was exactly the same as the past 4 years. My concerns were unfounded and Sitges remains a Catalonian gem!

Edited: 2:54 pm, August 02, 2013
Reply to: Has sitges changed due to the recession?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted