We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about travel from Madrid to Sitges by train

Which Sitges hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cupertino...
reviews: 4
Question about travel from Madrid to Sitges by train

I'm traveling from Madrid to Sitges by train, but am a little confused by the RENFE website.

Every travel website I've read suggests there are trains from Madrid to Barcelona Sants, and then from Barcelona Sants to Sitges.

I am able to book an AVE train from Madrid to Barcelona Sants on RailEurope (http://www.raileurope.com/), but can't find a train from Barcelona Sants to Sitges (RENFE shows no trains available: http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/cercanias/barcelona/index.html)

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?

Barcelona, Spain
1. Re: Question about travel from Madrid to Sitges by train

For commuter trains B - S you need to get to 'cercanias' section of Renfe.com

or www.Rodalies.cat to see timetables etc

(you cannot book these trains)

btw, before you pay commission to railEurope,

have you seen BennyM's article tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

?

A :)

Edited: 5:58 pm, June 11, 2011
Cupertino...
2. Re: Question about travel from Madrid to Sitges by train

Thanks - for the speedy and helpful information, and for the advice on rail europe!! :-)

Cupertino...
3. Re: Question about travel from Madrid to Sitges by train

one more question ... do you think we'll have a problem catching a train on a Sunday? I can't seem to retrieve a timetable on either the Renfe.com or Rodalies.cat sites

Barcelona, Spain
4. Re: Question about travel from Madrid to Sitges by train

(you are welcome)

Trains on Sundays or holidays are less frequent, eg every 30 minutes ,

not every 20 min

Perhaps the day/date you want to check is 'after' planned change of timetable (?) ,

thus no info is available at the moment (but the changes are in minutes, so current t-t should give you an idea)

A :)

Edited: 6:25 pm, June 11, 2011
London, United...
5. Re: Question about travel from Madrid to Sitges by train

Please guide me how to book the train from Madrid to Sitges. By the way, my plan is Madrid>>>> Sitges>>>> Barcelona>>>> back to Madrid

London, United...
6. Re: Question about travel from Madrid to Sitges by train

The train from barcelona to sitges comes very often, right? How can i buy the return train ticket online from madrid to barcelona ??? THX

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight
reviews: 179
7. Re: Question about travel from Madrid to Sitges by train

http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

reviews: 15
8. Re: Question about travel from Madrid to Sitges by train

We traveled from Madrid to Sitges on Sunday. Book the AVE ticket on line as the ticket office in Atocha Madrid was crowded. Its a comfortable 3 hour train ride.

Into Barcelona this takes you to the Sants station. From there find the Cercanias ticket machines for the tickets to Sitges. Its the number 2 line and costs around 3-4 Euros. No need to prebook. Not sure if its even an option. The trains run every 30 minutes on Sunday.

We took the 10:20 AVE from Madrid and were in Sitges by 2:15. Well worth the side trip.

9. Re: Question about travel from Madrid to Sitges by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, June 04, 2013