We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from Barcelona to Genova (Genoa)

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 3
Ferry from Barcelona to Genova (Genoa)

When I was researching travel from Barcelona to Genova I had trouble finding what I needed so thought I would add my comments for other travellers:

- To travel from Barcelona to Genova we went on the GNV Ferry.

- It doesn't go every day as it does a full circuit from Africa to Spain, to Genoa and then down to Palermo.

- In NZ I had a lot of trouble booking directly on European websites - they kept crashing on me - with perseverance I eventually got it to work on www.gnv.it. You can do it through a NZ travel agent but it will cost more

- When getting a taxi to the GNV ferry on Barcelona, tell the driver to go the the Grimaldi terminal (they own the ferry line)

- The trip is about 20hrs and we booked an ensuite cabin (they call it a 'matrimoniale suite') It was worth it for the comfort and privacy

- The room had a fridge - we took our own food in a chilly bag - lots of people did this

- A lot of people buy a basic ticket and sleep on the floor all over the ferry!

- The swimming pool was empty

- It was difficult getting information on arrival into Genova as the announcements are mostly not in English and even when they did say something in English we could not understand it

- When you arrive at Genoa and leave the ferry, there are no directions where to go so we just followed what looked like pedestrian crossing markings and after about 5 mins came across a hut in the middle of a car park where two customs officers were sitting - then it was another good 10 mins walk to the terminal

South Australia
reviews: 12
1. Re: Ferry from Barcelona to Genova (Genoa)

www.vueling.com fly Barcelona to Genova, as well as other Italian cities

Barcelona, Spain
reviews: 10
2. Re: Ferry from Barcelona to Genova (Genoa)

Flying from Barcelona to Genoa can be more simple, fast and cheap than ferries. Vueling is one option but there are other airlines as well! You can also take the train or a night bus but with the train you have to change and it is not so cheap.

reviews: 3
3. Re: Ferry from Barcelona to Genova (Genoa)

Thanks for your comment. Unfortunately the flight and train schedules did not work for us. The cabin on the ferry was great with a good bed and bathroom.

San Francisco...
4. Re: Ferry from Barcelona to Genova (Genoa)

Thank you for great info, i was also considering taking a ferry to Genoa but 20 hours is quiet long.

What about a train? not to hi-jack the thread, but does anyone know how to get a train to Genoa and where to change trains, etc?

Liverpool, United...
reviews: 33
5. Re: Ferry from Barcelona to Genova (Genoa)

Having taken the ferry with Grandi Navi Veloci last week from Genoa to Barcelona, I cannot recommend it. It was very expensive and our cabin was filthy, I would not put a dog on that boat. Bathroom was disgusting, eggshells all over the floor in our cabin! Whole boat dirty and smelly and just run down. Staff unhelpful and only speak Italian (some have a little French). When you arrive at either port it is unclear where to go, staff are useless and you have to carry heavy bags for miles. DON'T BOOK THIS FERRY!!!

6. Re: Ferry from Barcelona to Genova (Genoa)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, November 26, 2014