When I was researching travel from Barcelona to Genova I had trouble finding what I needed so thought I would add my comments for other travellers:
- To travel from Barcelona to Genova we went on the GNV Ferry.
- In NZ I had a lot of trouble booking directly on European websites - they kept crashing on me - with perseverance I eventually got it to work on www.gnv.it. You can do it through a NZ travel agent but it will cost more
- When getting a taxi to the GNV ferry on Barcelona, tell the driver to go the the Grimaldi terminal (they own the ferry line)
- The trip is about 20hrs and we booked an ensuite cabin (they call it a 'matrimoniale suite') It was worth it for the comfort and privacy
- The room had a fridge - we took our own food in a chilly bag - lots of people did this
- A lot of people buy a basic ticket and sleep on the floor all over the ferry!
- The swimming pool was empty
- It was difficult getting information on arrival into Genova as the announcements are mostly not in English and even when they did say something in English we could not understand it
- When you arrive at Genoa and leave the ferry, there are no directions where to go so we just followed what looked like pedestrian crossing markings and after about 5 mins came across a hut in the middle of a car park where two customs officers were sitting - then it was another good 10 mins walk to the terminal