We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BCN to Sants to Girona : train ticket question

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Berkhamsted
reviews: 23
BCN to Sants to Girona : train ticket question

We are flying in to BCN on Friday and due to land at 14:25. There is an AVE train from Barcelona Sants to Girona departing at 16:15.

I am fairly confident assuming the flight is on time, we can catch that. Are we able to easily buy a ticket for that service at the airport ? I don't want to risk buying online in case we do miss the train

thanks

Montreal, Canada
reviews: 6
1. Re: BCN to Sants to Girona : train ticket question

Since you'll be buying on the same day, it would probably be a better idea to wait until you get to train station to purchase your tickets. That way, if you do get there too late, you can always buy a ticket on the next train. There are several leaving every hour.

By the way, I see on the timetable that there is an Avant leaving Sants and arriving in Girona at the same time as the AVE every hour. This probably means that both services are being offered on the same train. The thing is that Avant tickets are much cheaper than AVE tickets when you purchase on the same day.

Berkhamsted
2. Re: BCN to Sants to Girona : train ticket question

Lawton, Oklahoma
reviews: 19
3. Re: BCN to Sants to Girona : train ticket question

What is an Avant?

Montreal, Canada
reviews: 6
4. Re: BCN to Sants to Girona : train ticket question

Avant is a medium distance high-speed train service. Normally, it uses a particular type of train that's a bit less upscale than an AVE. It's also cheaper than the AVE and I don't believe you can get reserved seating.

renfe.com/EN/…

Lawton, Oklahoma
reviews: 19
5. Re: BCN to Sants to Girona : train ticket question

Thanks! We don't really have public transport here. I have been intimidated by all the timetables and lines. I appreciate your clarification.

Berkhamsted
6. Re: BCN to Sants to Girona : train ticket question

Well we missed the AVE Train to Girona, partly because the flight was late but also I didn't make it clear when buying the ticket at Barcelona airport station that I wanted an Avant ticket. By the time I realised I had an ordinary ticket it was too late to do anything about it. We got the slower train to Girona so no real damage done.

On the way back I booked the Avant on line as the queues for the ticket booths at Girona were always lengthy. Most of the ticket machines at Girona didn't appear to be working either. Nice comfy train and very fast

Liverpool
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
reviews: 17
7. Re: BCN to Sants to Girona : train ticket question

similar query, we will be heading out of Barcelona Sants station on Wed.10.Jul.2013

heqading to Port Aventura (Salou) with luggage in tow

now I have a good idea of the train I want to catch (11.03) R.Express 18053 to Tortosa, (any idea on what platform this will leave from) but whats the best way of buying a tciket

taking into account if we miss this train

Barcelona, Spain
reviews: 10
8. Re: BCN to Sants to Girona : train ticket question

If you are not too worried about taking an extra 15 minutes to get to girona or other nearby destinations just get to the train station and go on the first train.

Trains are reliable and very frequent

9. Re: BCN to Sants to Girona : train ticket question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 06, 2014