We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed: accommodation for 5 people in Barcelona

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 8
Help needed: accommodation for 5 people in Barcelona

Hi

Five of us, including two elderlies and one child, plan to visit Barcelona and stay there for 4 nights. We would like to find a place that is convenient for getting about to all the tourist spots, including sea-front and beaches and is in a safe area with child-friendly restaurants.

Two accommodations currently available are:

1) B&B with shared W/C, shower/bathroom, €205 per night

EL Balcon de Born

Carrer Rera Palau2

Prime to 2a

08003 Barcelona

2) self catering apartment, €150 per night

Carrer del Tenor

Masini 86

08028 Barcelona

Between these two, which one will be a better option? Any other suggestions are also highly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Barcelona, Spain
reviews: 21
1. Re: Help needed: accommodation for 5 people in Barcelona

In my opinion, the first one is definitely better. It is located in El Born, walking distance to the beach, to the zoo, to many great restaurants and bars, to the Gothic quarter.

Whereas the second one is close to Sants train station... Not the edge of the world by any means, but you will have to take public transit to get to all the tourist sights, with the exception of Plaça Espanya and Montjuic, maybe.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
reviews: 18
2. Re: Help needed: accommodation for 5 people in Barcelona

Well nowhere is convenient to ALL tourist spots because some of them are quite dispersed. A quick look at a map should eliminate the apartment you've selected because it's not particularly close to most of the central attractions or Parc Guell, Sagrada Familia etc. It's actually quite an interesting area, especially if your trip is in late August when their Festa Major is taking place. The B&B is better placed for the beach and for Barri Gotic, provided your party doesn't have too many mobility problems.

Public transport is very cheap in Barcelona, so perhaps selecting somewhere near a metro station might be an idea. There are useful entries in the Top Questions on the right about finding apartments and where to stay. For five of you, an apartment might be the best bet because they are more flexible than B&Bs or hotels.

Most restaurants in Barcelona tend to be child friendly.

London, United...
3. Re: Help needed: accommodation for 5 people in Barcelona

Thank you, katya and pandachris.

Sorry, didn't mean to ask for a place close to ALL tourist spots. The location of the B&B sounds good enough for us. Luckily none of us has any mobility problem, but may I ask why "pandachris" mentioned mobility?

I think we will give the apartment a miss as it is a bit out of the town. The B&B is one of the top ranking Barcelona B&Bs on TA, so should be really nice. However, sharing bathroom/toilet sounds a bit odd to me (please forgive my ignorance), is this common in B&Bs?

I will check other apartments and may come back with more questions. Thanks.

London, United...
4. Re: Help needed: accommodation for 5 people in Barcelona

If we took a self catering apartment, would it be easy to do food shopping in Barcelona? We haven't stayed in a self-catering apartment in a foreign city before, so not sure what to expected.

Thanks.

Edited: 9:44 am, May 20, 2013
Barcelona, Spain
reviews: 21
5. Re: Help needed: accommodation for 5 people in Barcelona

A self-catering apartment is a great option, IMO, and there are many to choose from in every neighbourhood in Barcelona, including all the hot sports.

Food shopping is easy: there are plenty of supermarkets (Mercadona, Bonpreu, Caprabo, Dia etc), as well as local markets which are an attraction of their own.

Connecticut
reviews: 22
6. Re: Help needed: accommodation for 5 people in Barcelona

Why not book an apartment in a better location? You should be able to find a 2 or 3 bedroom, 2 bath apartment from one of the rental agencies listed here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187497-c158711/Barce…

I booked 2 apartments from habitatapartments for May 30 - June 9, so looking forward to my trip in a little over a week!

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
7. Re: Help needed: accommodation for 5 people in Barcelona

'but may I ask why "pandachris" mentioned mobility?' - of course you may. You said you were travelling with elderlies. That covers a huge range of people and there are many sprightly 90 year olds about, but some older people have trouble walking longish differences or can have problem with stairs. Few apartments and B&Bs in Barcelona have lifts and Barcelona really is a city for walking. You'll have a few hundred metres to walk from the B&B before you get anywhere, but if that's not a problem, it's not a bad choice.

London, United...
8. Re: Help needed: accommodation for 5 people in Barcelona

Thank you all for the information.

I checked Habitat Apartments and found "Alibei 3 apartment" in Eixample area. The address for this department is Carrer Ali Bei, 3 08010 Barcelona (I googled it and hope it's correct, as the address wasn't given on the Habitat website). Is this apartment in a better location than the B&B I posted on the top? The rent for 5 people is 780 eur for 4 nights, not much cheaper than the B&B.

The cheapest apartment (546 eur) is "Mitre Comfort apartment" in Ronda General Mitre (Sarrià, Sant Gervasi). Other less expensive apartments are in Sants, Montjuïc and Gracia respectively. Are these out of the town? Sorry I haven't managed to get my head around the Barcelona map, so really appreciate your help with the locations.

Back to my question about shared shower/bathroom in B&Bs, is it common in Barcelona? Last time we stayed in a Barcelona B&B was ten years ago, so I can't really remember it.

Thanks again for your help.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
reviews: 234
9. Re: Help needed: accommodation for 5 people in Barcelona

TAZL,

Re: shared washrooms at the B&B, it depends on the price. Usually there are a few rooms with ensuite washrooms. The others will not have ensuites. It might be 2 rooms sharing a washroom or more than 2 rooms sharing.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
10. Re: Help needed: accommodation for 5 people in Barcelona

Re the map, if you think of a triangle with Placa de Catalunya at its apex and Las Ramblas and Via Laiaetana as two sides (I know that's not quite a triangle, because Laietana doesn't actually reach Pca de Catalunya, but for convenience it's not a bad concept) then the area within that 'triangle is very central for tourist Barcelona. Many attractions are outside that area, but it' as central as you can get.

I like the Sarria/Sant Gervasi area - we stayed just off General Mitre last year but it's a few stops on the train for the centre. Carrer d'Ali Bei is a bit closer ot the centre but further out than your original B&B. I don't know the neighborhood. For what it's worth, we're staying quite a bit further out on our next visit to the city (assuming that we don't pop in for the day next week) but will utilise the excellent public transport system. If your accommodation is near a metro station you can get around the city quickly, easily and cheaply.