We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area to stay in Barcelona

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cheshire
reviews: 9
Best area to stay in Barcelona

I have decided to choose the area then the hotel. We don't need to be in the centre but would like to be near transport and restaurants.

We like four and five star hotel s although I think for this trip it will be four star

Many thanks

faye

61 replies to this topic
Arden, Delaware...
21. Re: Best area to stay in Barcelona

OK, I'm puzzled, What is "charlie"

London, United...
reviews: 7
22. Re: Best area to stay in Barcelona

LOL, maybe only the British call it that! It's a class A drug starting with "C". Gracia area is beautiful, good location to rent an apartment in. I'd stay there.

Burnley, United...
reviews: 52
23. Re: Best area to stay in Barcelona

Charlie is cocaine, name by british and many others, he said a few others I did and didn't know. No fuss tho just ignored him and walked away :) Thing Is i'd have prob bought a beer if he didn't do that. I was thirsty :)

Nehalem, Oregon
24. Re: Best area to stay in Barcelona

Pinky C, Can you tell me please again what WIMDU stands for? My last apartment rental experience was so bad, I'm now saving up info on better rental companies for our next adventure abroad. Apparently I need to be more careful about who I book with next time.

New Jersey
reviews: 1
25. Re: Best area to stay in Barcelona

I read all replies. They are very helpful. I am also looking for a hotel to stay at Barcelona for only one day before my Cruise in September. I will arrive Barcelona airport at 13:00 pm and try to go sightseeing in the afternoon and next morning before go to cruise ship at 14:00 pm. (1) Which hotel to stay? Preference: safe area and close to most tourist attractions, including Sagrada Familla. (price range 150-250); close to aerobus stop from airport; not too far to pier for a taxi ride. (2) What are must see sights? Since we only have several hours in the afternoon and in next morning, I guess we can only select 4-5 places. Please give us some suggestions. This is our first time to Barcelona, I wish we can stay longer here. Thanks.

san antonio
reviews: 22
26. Re: Best area to stay in Barcelona

There's not much else in the area around Sagrada Familia. I'd suggest someplace near Placa Catlaunya, easy walk to all of La Rambla, Born, Barri Gotic, Upper Raval and great metro access for other areas including Sagrada Familia and the Magic Fountain.

For your generous budget, you could stay at Casa Camper which is in a cool area.

Edited: 6:13 pm, July 06, 2013
Cheshire
reviews: 9
27. Re: Best area to stay in Barcelona

My husbands friend stayed at the barcelo raval and he said it was on the edge and he enjoyed it etc so I am going to do the same and would like to thank you all for the replies. Faye x

Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
reviews: 233
28. Re: Best area to stay in Barcelona

Susan T,

Here's a Top Question with a short list of rental agencies that have been mentioned by regular contributors and visitors. If you click on the Top Question link, you'll also get a link to a thread about apts that TA members used and liked.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g187497-c158711/Bar…

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
reviews: 18
29. Re: Best area to stay in Barcelona

I'm not sure (coming from traditional Shropshire but being a Southport lad at heart) that I would describe Barceló Raval as "on the edge" but people do like to exaggerate their holiday's a bit for effect. It's less edgy than much of central Manchester.

Charley (as opposed to 'Charlie) is heroin. I don't suppose the weasely little pushers spell it out for you and I think the advice is to ignore them (a polite 'no thank you' and a smile is normally enough and I think that drug pushers are the exception and most of them are just trying to make a living). From memory, and it's over 30 years since I read it, Burroughs uses Charley as a name for heroin in the book "Junkie".

I can't speak for WIMDU but Carrer Torrent de Flors (lovely name) is in Gracia which is almost like a village within Barcelona. Less touristy and more traditional with very little in the way of "safety", if we must use that word, issues and a strong sense of community as evinced by the marvellous festa major that they have in mid-August. I would certainly consider an apartment in that area.

Wellington, Florida
reviews: 28
30. Re: Best area to stay in Barcelona

Isn't Ravel the "red light district"? I'm sure it's colorful but it's not where I want to stay. I guess I believe all the negatives about that area, like, it's the worse area in the entire city.

Reply to: Best area to stay in Barcelona
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted