We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for place to buy wine near the W Hotel/hotel help

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kingwood, TX
reviews: 1
Looking for place to buy wine near the W Hotel/hotel help

Hi,

Arriving on an 8:30pm flight to BCN and want to pick up two bottles of good wine for our cruise which departs the next day. What are our options please? Is there a place in the airport to purchase wine? Or more likely, the next morning, will we be able to find a place near the W that sells wine? We probably will be up early and walking a bit as DH has never been to this wonderful city.

My second question is regarding hotels/rooms near Catedral. Two years ago my daughter and I stayed the night at Colon and one other (was next door to the hotel Colon) pre and post cruise. Location was great and at the time it was just over 100 Euros. Things have gone up significantly and with our W stay, we would like to find a safe, comfortable place in that same area. Can you please offer suggestions?

Thanks for any help!!

Liz

Vilanova i la Geltru
reviews: 42
1. Re: Looking for place to buy wine near the W Hotel/hotel help

Don't know about the hotel but there are a couple of small supermarkets in Barceloneta on the Port Vell side

Istanbul, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
reviews: 196
2. Re: Looking for place to buy wine near the W Hotel/hotel help

Hola Liz,

Are you sure your cruise ship will allow you to bring wine on board?

If you want to find a hotel near where you stayed last visit, use the search map on TA Barcelona Hotels, www.booking.com or www.venere.com. Input your previous hotel and see what other hotels are in the area and in your price range.

Hola VPS !

Kingwood, TX
3. Re: Looking for place to buy wine near the W Hotel/hotel help

VPS, thank you, I'm still trying to figure out where things are so I will try a google search on this!

Hola Gigis_mum, thanks for your suggestions also! Yes, Celebrity allows two bottles onboard at the embarkation port per stateroom so we want to take advantage of that.

I would prefer to purchase it at the airport but will continue to work on these issues and I'll check out the two websites you mentioned.

Can't wait to revisit Barcelona!

Liz

Vilanova i la Geltru
reviews: 42
4. Re: Looking for place to buy wine near the W Hotel/hotel help

My experience of cruise ships is that they have alcohol rules but don't really enforce it. So I would take a little more with you. They need your business more than you need them.

Istanbul, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
5. Re: Looking for place to buy wine near the W Hotel/hotel help

Good to know, ladies.

Liz, if you're taking the Aerobus into town, you could easily pick up a few nice bottles at the Club Gourmet inside El Corte Ingles dept store. Club Gourmet is in the basement and if you get a 10% discount card at Customer Service, you can buy all kinds of goodies (wine, cheese, jamon iberico etc) for a little less. Some people might say that El Corte Ingles is pricey but as far as Spanish ham goes, they sell the top brands and it's vacuum-packed (easy to transport and not perishable). It's also right next to the Aerobus stop.

To buy Catalan brands and do some friendly wine-tasting in Barri Gotic, please visit Bar Zim, owned by cheese expert Katherine McLaughlin. Her cheese shop was featured in a NY Times article on Barcelona last year. The 2 shops are right next door to each other near metro Jaume I (not far from Hotel Colon). Don't ask HER about vacuum packing -- her artisanal cheeses are her babies and she insists that they are alive!

http://www.barzimbcn.com/

http://www.formatgerialaseu.com/

Edited: 5:12 pm, February 01, 2013
Kingwood, TX
6. Re: Looking for place to buy wine near the W Hotel/hotel help

Gigis mum, I was thinking of staying near Catedral again post cruise and if so, I'll definitely pop in and greet Ms. Katherine! Have a daughter by that name so how could I not? lol

On a different note, have you ever had dinner at Tickets? For great dining, it seems very reasonable and of course, just to get a chance to dine at one of the brothers' restaurants would be a treat. Your opinion please?

Thanks again,

Liz

Istanbul, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
7. Re: Looking for place to buy wine near the W Hotel/hotel help

Liz,

Glad to hear that you'll make a stop at one of Katherine's places. She is a gem and knows so much good Barcelona gossip, lol. If you like cheese and ice cream, do try her cheese ice cream. It's pretty amazing.

Tickets is an experience! I'm a fan of the Adrias and when we went, we had the pleasure of meeting Albert and spying on Ferran (he, of El Bulli fame, was having some family time in a quiet corner). Booking is tricky; it has to be done just after Barcelona midnight, exactly 60 days before your desired reservation. The best tactic is to go on the website a few weeks' earlier, note what booking date is being processed and COUNT BACKWARDS to figure out exactly what date you should do your booking. Once the few hours of booking is done, the calendar will look as inactive as the day before.... You'll wonder if it's actually working (it is).

More on the food etc, from my old review:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187497-d205…

If you don't manage to get in (which happened to us last year), don't worry. There are lots of other good places to try. Lolita Taperia is Albert Adria's old place (used to be Inopia) and it's still very good for more traditional tapas. Or a meal at Moments (Mandarin Oriental), Moo (Hotel Omm), Tapac24 or Gresca. All modern Catalan.

tripadvisor.com/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

Edited: 7:03 pm, February 03, 2013
Kingwood, TX
8. Re: Looking for place to buy wine near the W Hotel/hotel help

Great tips! Will try diligently as I've watched several shows featuring them. Another question if I might? We had a wonderful meal (2 actually) at the bar at the Ohla hotel. I've read of a pricey restaurant there and wondered if they were the same? Food was fab and service was better the 2nd night as they knew we loved their food. It is kind of my backup plan if Tickets doesn't work out as we only have one dinner in Barcelona sadly... Actually a final ? Sorry. How can I find out if any stores at BCN sell wine? I'm afraid nothing will be open Sunday morning and really want to board with a couple of bottles... The google search of airport stores don't answer this question and I'm stumped for answers.

Thanks again for all the help!!!

Istanbul, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
9. Re: Looking for place to buy wine near the W Hotel/hotel help

I haven't tried the restaurants at the Ohla but I know they have 2: the formal one is Saüc and the more casual one is the Gastrobar. Saüc has 1 Michelin star and its chef Xavier Franco is a disciple of the late Santi Santamaria. Just a bit of gastro gossip but Santamaria did NOT agree with the Adrias when it came to cooking, lol.

Saüc has a very good reputation. Local DE Belsaita has eaten there and I recall she enjoyed it. Perhaps she can comment on the food.

People have different tastes so it's hard to say where to go for The Meal, especially if you have only one opportunity. I ask myself that sometimes..."Where would I go if I had one meal in Barcelona?" Then, I get all stressed out and swear NEVER to have just one meal, lol. If you enjoyed the Gastrobar, then by all means, try Saüc. Or Cinc Sentits. Or Alkimia. Tickets is more tapas style and a fun drinks place (which brings up the other alternative: 41 Degrees).

Re: wine shopping on a Sat night/Sun morning... Sorry, I haven't tried it but there are some possibilities from bcngourmet website:

Tiendas Boadas is near La Rambla and open until Sat night, 3 am.

www.bcngourmet.com/barcelona.asp…

Tienda El Celler de la Boqueria is open Mon-Sun, 9 am - 8 pm

Tienda La Carte des Vins is in El Born, open until Sat 10 pm

Tienda La Pineda is in Barri Gotic, open on Sun from 9 am

Tienda La Vinya del Senyor is near Santa Maria del Mar church, Sat until 2 am, Sun from 12 pm

Tienda Reina is in l'Eixample, Sat until 12 am

www.bcngourmet.com/barcelona.asp?tienda=reina

Tienda Vinya Roel is in l'Eixample, open daily until 12 am (opens late in the morning)

Hope this helps. :-)

Kingwood, TX
10. Re: Looking for place to buy wine near the W Hotel/hotel help

Gigis, again, I am in your debt.

I will try to see if I can look up all these locations on a map. I wonder if the taxi driver would consider stopping by one of them on the way to the hotel? Not sure if this is allowed. With the meter running of course...

It was the bar at Ohla where we dined. We don't want to have to pay top dollar for dinner that night, especially after coming off a budget-blowing 12 cruise, so Tickets sounded fun, tasty, and reasonable for great food.

Will look into some of your other suggestions.

Again,

Thanks!

Liz