We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very Late Trip Report- Barcelona May 2012

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
reviews: 115
Very Late Trip Report- Barcelona May 2012

I went to Barcelona in May of last year and TA was so helpful that I wanted to do a trip report but I got so busy with moving out of state for a new job. In short Barcelona was amazing! I loved it. Such a great mix of new and old.

I rented an apartment in Gothic Quarter from Cocoon Barcelona. Apartment was in good location between La Ramblas and Born. Lots of little shops and restaurants close by. I liked the apartment it just was noisy at night and the doors locked from the inside which is a fire hazard.

Here are some things I did:

Brightside night tour- I had Ester as my guide and she was great. She took me all over the city and explained the history.

Cooking class with Espai Barcelona- great class with nice amount of people. We learn to cook paella, dates with bacon and a couple of Spanish dishes. Highly recommended.

All Gaudi buildings, Sangrda Familia, Puell Guell, Casa Batilio, Casa Mila Parc Guell were all beautiful! (sorry for spelling errors) These are a must see!

For Sangrada Famila (sp) I purchased tickets ahead of time as recommended on TA and glad I did as the line for tickets was around the corner and I just walked right in. You do have to wait a little while if you take the lift up but not long.

Concert at Palace of Music (can't remember the Spanish name)- I saw the four guitars show which was great and the building itself is beautiful!

Picasso museum in Born was great also. I learned a lot about Picasso early childhood and saw some of his early and late paintings.

I ate at a few places but my favorite was La Paradeta in Born. they have fresh seafood that you pick out and tell them how you want it cooked. I was worried because I don't speak Spanish but the order taker at the Born location spoke English. I got there about 40 minutes before they opened and I'm glad I did as a line formed and I was the first one in.

Artisa was another place I went to for dessert and Hot chocolate. Both were very good. One if the best I've ever had.

Milk was a place in Born I tried for breakfast was also good. I had the French Toast. The owners and waitress speak English.

When planning my trip I was very nervous as I read a lot about pick pocketing and the poo scam. I carried pepper spray with me the first few days but I actually felt very safe. I carried my money in a neck pouch I kept under my shirt and my other valuables in a pac safe bag I purchased. I only took there metro there and never had a problem while on it.

I did have one incident where a man followed me from La Ramblas as I was walking back to my apartment which I noticed because I made two stops and he was behind me each place I went. When I went in the pizzeria by my apartment I told the woman that worked there (who I had met when I first arrived) that I was being followed and she and the cook from the back went outside and I pointed at the guy who then ran off. The cook walked me home which was very nice. Overall the people there were nice.

I also had a little confusion trying to find the bus to Plaza Catalunya. The women at the tourist desk were rude but did tell me I had to go outside. My Sim card that I purchased while in the US didn't work as well because it wasn't activated but a woman in one of the Phone House stores which are everywhere in Barcelona helped me.

Overall it was a great trip and I would definitely visit Barcelona again. thanks to everyone who helped me last year while I was planning!

Shreveport...
reviews: 65
1. Re: Very Late Trip Report- Barcelona May 2012

I enjoyed your trip report and made some notes for my upcoming trip. thanks!

Seabrook, Texas
reviews: 1
2. Re: Very Late Trip Report- Barcelona May 2012

Thank you for posting this report! Very helpful info.

Torrance, California
reviews: 9
3. Re: Very Late Trip Report- Barcelona May 2012

Hi,

Thank you for your trip report! A group of us will be traveling to Barcelona this May. Can't wait. Can you tell me how the weather was?

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia
reviews: 2,419
4. Re: Very Late Trip Report- Barcelona May 2012

Ms:

Good report!

Honolulu, Hawaii
reviews: 150
5. Re: Very Late Trip Report- Barcelona May 2012

Where did you purchase your tickets to Sagria familia? (sp>)

Washington DC...
6. Re: Very Late Trip Report- Barcelona May 2012

The weather was nice in the mid to high 70. One day it got in the 80s. It only rained one day.

Washington DC...
7. Re: Very Late Trip Report- Barcelona May 2012

I got my Sagrada Familia tickets from ticketmaster

ticketmaster.es/nav/…

8. Re: Very Late Trip Report- Barcelona May 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 01, 2014