We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary feedback for first timers to Europe- Honeymoon

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane
reviews: 13
Itinerary feedback for first timers to Europe- Honeymoon

Hello,

We are from Australia and are heading to Europe for our first time and our honeymoon in October. Originally we wanted to get in some beach time, but have since found out it's too late in the season to do that, so we are stopping in Dubai to try and get some nice warm weather/laze by the pool first.

I'm not sure this is the right forum as I couldn't find a generic Europe forum, but if anyone has some feedback/ideas on better places to go, length of time etc. that would be most helpful. We are big foodies and that, along with obviously culture and the major tourist spots, are our focus. We def don't want to go to many museums/art galleries- that's not us. We'd prefer wineries/markets/cafes/ food tours/ farms etc. We're not sure if these are the best places for that- so any help would be great!

Oct 22nd Brisbane- Dubai (4 nights)

Oct 26th Dubai-Paris (7 nights)

Nov 2nd Paris-Barcelona (fly, 4 nights)

Nov 6th Barcelona- Venice (fly 3 nights)

Nov 9th Venice- Florence- San Gimignano farm stay (train/hire car from Florence drove to San G 4 nights)

Nov 13th Florence- Rome (train 7 nights)

Nov 20th Rome- Dubai (2 nights)

Nov 22nd Dubai- Brisbane

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
reviews: 18
1. Re: Itinerary feedback for first timers to Europe- Honeymoon

Culture but no museums and art galleries. Whilst in Barcelona/Catalunya you could perhaps try to find out if there are any castellers events taking place. Could be one of the highlights of your honeymoon.

Tons of info in the top Questions about places to eat and wineries.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
reviews: 8
2. Re: Itinerary feedback for first timers to Europe- Honeymoon

Much as I love Rome.....if you're not doing any museums and art galleries, maybe 7 nights in Rome is a bit long. Will you do churches and ancient Roman ruins at least?

Do make sure you visit Siena, and Pisa too while you are in Tuscany.

3. Re: Itinerary feedback for first timers to Europe- Honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:04 am, November 05, 2013
Lyon, France
4. Re: Itinerary feedback for first timers to Europe- Honeymoon

Hi there,

I don't know if it's too late to answer but I recommend you to rent a Vespa at Vesping! Indeed, the vespa comes along with a GPS with 4 tours inside, perfect to discover the cultural and iconic places of the city just passing by them. The staff (really helpful and kind) will also give you a lot of explanations, advices and tips about Barcelona, the places to go out, good restaurants and bars to eat paella or tapas...

Moreover a Vespa has a romantic touch, perfect for a honeymoon!

Enjoy your trip anyway!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
5. Re: Itinerary feedback for first timers to Europe- Honeymoon

Hi there, completely agree with Sarah, touring on a scooter is (for me) the best way to really see the whole of what Barcelona has to offer with the freedom to move around where and how you want.

But I have to bring a bit of reality here too... scooters in Barcelona are not for everyone!

Firstly let me say I drive a Vespa in Barcelona, so I'm passionate about this mean of transportation, however, let me say too that:

1.) If you come from the US, you might find traffic here quite unnerving and threatening because spaces (lane widths, distance between cars, etc.) are much smaller than in the US.

2.) Barcelona is among the top 5 cities in the World (yes, the World!) in number of scooters/bikes per inhabitant. Reason, probably the nice weather and the fact car traffic is quite heavy. In any case, just driving in Passeig de Gràcia -one of the main boulevards- at lunch time will show you how many people move around in them... sometimes, when waiting for a light to turn green it looks like the starting grid of any racing track because of the number of scooters/bikes.

3.) This agglomeration of scooters/bikes does obviously carry its drawbacks: there are around 9000 scooter/bike related accidents per year in Barcelona. While the statistics show this is in the low-end band compared to many other countries in Europe, the figure is still quite high. Also it's good to know that this agglomeration has brought the City Hall to introduce a new set of driving regulations specifically targeting scooters/bikes which means most foreign drivers might not be acquainted with (i.e. the grids for bikes: elpais.com/recorte/…20090928elpepunac_4.jpg That might be a danger for them and others.

4.) Parking is heavily regulated. You can't park anywhere you want! (although sometimes, in some areas and at certain times Police can be 'forgiving'). Still I feel it's more convenient than any other mean of transportation because in the worst case scenario it'll allow you to park 'relatively' close to where you're going.

5.) Fines are quite high should you break the rules... and you scooter/bike can be towed if parked where you shouldn't.

Having said all these, I still believe it's a wonderful way to move around and I wouldn't change it for the world :)

Edited: 7:39 pm, November 04, 2013
6. Re: Itinerary feedback for first timers to Europe- Honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, November 06, 2014