We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AVE From Barcelona to Seville

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon
AVE From Barcelona to Seville

Has anyone ridden the AVE from Barcelona to Seville? If so, is the ride scenic enough to warrant the 4 1/2+ hour trip vs. the 1 1/2-hour airline flight?

Thank you kindly.

Taipei, Taiwan
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
reviews: 192
1. Re: AVE From Barcelona to Seville

Hola PupDad!

I've flown this route on Vueling. It's often cheaper than riding the train or, almost the same price. You'll have other Renfe train experiences. In this case, I'd fly.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid
reviews: 2,230
2. Re: AVE From Barcelona to Seville

PupDad:

I would fly and spend more time in Seville.

Dartmouth, Canada
reviews: 5
3. Re: AVE From Barcelona to Seville

I am torn with this desicion as well. 5 hrs is not that long. Time to rest, relax,catch up on somereading, have a relaxed conversation with your travel mates while sipping on a glass of wine and discussing your plans for Seville. Since we have to return to Barcelona anyway we may fly one way and train the other. Still flipflooping on this one!

Oregon
4. Re: AVE From Barcelona to Seville

Thank you for the responses. However, relative costs & travel time are not issues for me (unless, of course, the rail trip is totally void of any aesthetic value).

I guess that I tend to subscribe to the dictum that in many cases "it's the journey, not always the destination". Some of my most memorable travel experiences occurred "on the way".

Thank you.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 16
5. Re: AVE From Barcelona to Seville

If money isn't the issue, and you enjoy taking the train, which is far more comfortable that flying in a cramped airline seat, then the extra couple of hours spent on the train would be worth it (business class). There's not a whole lot to see at times, especially when traveling at speeds above 250 kph, but occasionally you'll spot something of interest along the way. At least you'll be able to relax, enjoy a halfway decent meal and get to see some of the country, not just the area around the airport.

If you're still interested in seeing Cordoba, then taking the 08:30 or 10:20 AVE would allow you to stop overnight in Cordoba, before catching one of the afternoon trains the next day to Sevilla. It cuts an hour off of the travel time and you'd be traveling from city center to city center in both cases. No need to run out to the airport, or take a taxi into town.

You can book some tickets 62 days out, but others are now available 120 days out. If you experience problems buying the tickets, then you can check Petrabax.com, the official North American rep for Renfe.

Dartmouth, Canada
reviews: 5
6. Re: AVE From Barcelona to Seville

Thanks robert 2533. I took down your note about Petrabax.com. It may come in handy.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 16
7. Re: AVE From Barcelona to Seville

We use Petrabax when Renfe is temperamental and I don't have a lot of time playing around trying to book tickets for ourselves or a client. It works fine.

Oregon
8. Re: AVE From Barcelona to Seville

Excellent, Robert. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
reviews: 10
9. Re: AVE From Barcelona to Seville

I can't add much to what has been said. Just pointing that, when comparing train vs. plane times, its not really 4 1/2+ hour trip vs. the 1 1/2-hour airline flight. You must add travel times from/to the aiports plus at least 1 hour in the airport. In the *very best* scenario you will spend 4 hours door to door by plane, versus let's say 5 1/2 by train. But the "stress savings" can be huge.

Oregon
10. Re: AVE From Barcelona to Seville

Bellsaita: good point.

Oh, BTW, a related question ... am I correct in understanding that the 60% (or so) advance purchase discount on Renfe AVE fares requires ticket purchase at least 62 days to the travel date?

Thank you!