We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelona, in the eyes of Chris-the-Scotsman...

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Shanghai, China
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
reviews: 192
Barcelona, in the eyes of Chris-the-Scotsman...

Estimats Amics,

A year has passed since TA Barcelona lost its most passionate member, Chris-the-Scotsman. Only 47 years young, Chris passed away on December 29, 2010. He had just returned from a fun-filled visit to Barcelona and a series of TA Barcelona Forum Meets (which he organized). He will be forever loved and never forgotten for his wicked wit, generous spirit and excellent suggestions/comments about Barcelona.

As time goes by, the threads on which Chris’ participated have been closed and it has become harder to find his good material. Here’s a short list of my favourite threads in which – for a passing moment – I can see Barcelona through the eyes of Chris-the-Scotsman.

Please feel free to add your own Chris-thread or Chris-quote below.

Barcelona has something to offer to everyone, even if they can’t run a marathon anymore or have ‘creaky knees’…Chris always mentioned his dear dad and travel partner, Bob. Chris often read funny excerpts from the forum to him.

tripadvisor.com/…27071618

tripadvisor.com/…29130916

A little rain won’t stop you from having fun in Barcelona.

tripadvisor.com/…27096489

The drains might stink a bit in the hot weather but streets are cleaned daily…

tripadvisor.com/…27144294

If you like architecture, you’ll love Barcelona.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187497-i44-k41125…

You won’t find any locals walking around ‘with axes in their heads’ in the Raval…(a thread about safety)

tripadvisor.com/…27176672

Barceloneta beach’s famous old naked guys can make a wedding proposal an Event to Remember! (see post #8)

tripadvisor.com/…27193862

When it comes to fashion in Barcelona, anything is possible – even wheels for feet!

tripadvisor.com/…27163840

What do Imelda Marcos, Barcelona and shoes have in common?

tripadvisor.com/…29520885

Barcelona offers great access to Catalan wine.

tripadvisor.com/…29252597

In Barcelona, you might bump into Ferran Adria while shopping for jamon.

tripadvisor.com/…27048021

How to satisfy an obsession for jamon:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187497-i44-k37366…

Barcelona is a heaven for late-night snacking.

tripadvisor.com/…27163977

When in doubt, drink chocolate!

tripadvisor.com/…29191202

The “I Love Barcelona” t-shirt wins over the “I’ve been mugged in Barcelona” t-shirt any day!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187497-i44-k37465…

You can forget everything but you won’t forget Gracia, food or Barcelona! Chris had his own ‘city girl’, his dear mum Margaret.

tripadvisor.com/…29546916

Port Saint Lucie...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
reviews: 12
1. Re: Barcelona, in the eyes of Chris-the-Scotsman...

Thank you Gigis_mum, yes he had a way of words, l should be so talented. Hubie

karachi
reviews: 4
2. Re: Barcelona, in the eyes of Chris-the-Scotsman...

Sublime sorrow and reflective happiness- a collective ode to existence … the rainbow of divine refulgence, triumphing over the storm of merciless destruction and grief… because we live, we ‘believe’ and because we ‘believe’ we ‘hope’ … hope, belief, strength and faith-symbolic notes of the hosanna ‘eternal’…thank you, Gigis_mum for an incredibly thoughtful thread …I know how painful this endeavour must have been for you BUT this tribute HAD to be from you and you alone- Chris’ dearest forum friend, who single handedly translated his legacy of sharing and caring by giving it a practical dimension on TA Barcelona… thank you once again …had he been around- he still is in ‘spirit’ if not in person, our dear and cherished friend would have been proud of you …

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
reviews: 10
3. Re: Barcelona, in the eyes of Chris-the-Scotsman...

Thanks for this Gigis_mum, what a beautiful tribute to our late friend!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
reviews: 8
4. Re: Barcelona, in the eyes of Chris-the-Scotsman...

Thanks gigis_mum, it's good to hear his voice again. So much enthusiasm!

BARCELONA.SPAIN
reviews: 18
5. Re: Barcelona, in the eyes of Chris-the-Scotsman...

Thank you Gigis_mum for this great tribute to our friend

Vilanova i la Geltru
reviews: 42
6. Re: Barcelona, in the eyes of Chris-the-Scotsman...

Thank you Gigi. Brilliant to rekindle such expertise, he would have liked this, I'm sure.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 67
7. Re: Barcelona, in the eyes of Chris-the-Scotsman...

I loved my trip to Barcelona, a trip that Chris helped me plan. We were to have met for drinks over Easter, and as we all know, that wasn't to be.

What a loss, was this man. I'm so glad he lives on in my PM's, and in posts like the ones Gigi's Mum posted. And mainly, I'm so glad he lives on in Barcelona.

If your family reads this Chris, I hope they get a sense of how much you meant to so many people. And how we miss you still.

Charlene

Bullsbrook
reviews: 26
8. Re: Barcelona, in the eyes of Chris-the-Scotsman...

Hi Charlene,

Thank you for your kind words. I am Chris's cousin and it is nice to read these sentiments and to know he lives on.

I was fortunate to go to Barcelona with him and see it thru his eyes.

I miss him lots.

Lou, his Australian cousin

Bullsbrook
reviews: 26
9. Re: Barcelona, in the eyes of Chris-the-Scotsman...

Thanks Gigi s mum

Port Saint Lucie...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
reviews: 12
10. Re: Barcelona, in the eyes of Chris-the-Scotsman...

Louise, we all LOVED Chris, he was a very loving sole, l use to tell him, you da man, Chris you da man. Hubie