We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best things to buy in Spain (MADE IN SPAIN)

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
reviews: 35
Best things to buy in Spain (MADE IN SPAIN)

I like to make authentic purchases when I go on travel (ok sometimes the obvious touristy souvenirs, but other than those). I just wanted to get some ideas from ppl who have gone to Barcelona and Madrid on the local things to purchase.

Thanks.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 56
1. Re: Best things to buy in Spain (MADE IN SPAIN)

Cava! red or white. Catalonian champagne. It's what I bought both while there and to bring back.

Pjk

Barcelona
2. Re: Best things to buy in Spain (MADE IN SPAIN)

Leather shoes

Charcuterie (ham, saucisson, fuet...).

Wine

Art

New York City, New...
reviews: 4
3. Re: Best things to buy in Spain (MADE IN SPAIN)

Before you buy any charcuterie to bring back, be very careful to understand the restrictions on bringing what you buy into the US.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 53
4. Re: Best things to buy in Spain (MADE IN SPAIN)

I bought a hand painted tile in a Moorish pattern and several hand painted fans as well as a gorgeous pair of leather patchwork shoes. I hunted in vain for a silk square scarf painted in the lovely Moorish tile designs. They are missing an opportunity there.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 61
5. Re: Best things to buy in Spain (MADE IN SPAIN)

We bought fans. You have to be careful to find the ones made in Spain and not in China!!! I only travel with carryon soooo didn't bring any wine home. We can get lots of wine from Spain here in California and I didn't think it was less expensive given the exchange rate.

I usually buy craft items but this time I also bought a wonderful 1,000 piece puzzle showing all the Gaudi sites. I had a wonderful time putting it together and remembering the places I had visited. It now sits on display near my computer!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
reviews: 8
6. Re: Best things to buy in Spain (MADE IN SPAIN)

Moorish designs are not really related to Madrid or Barcelona (not part of their history).

Espadrilles (alpargatas/espardenyes) are something local to catalunya.

The museum shops here have nice souvenirs so even if it's something like a mug you can get a classy design. And then remember Barcelona every time you have a coffee. A friend of mine buys mugs when she goes on holiday and the "collection" (in daily use) brings back lots of memories.

I quite often buy souvenirs made of fabric (eg aprons, teatowels) as they are light to carry, but spain isn't that great for those sort of things.

New York City, New...
reviews: 4
7. Re: Best things to buy in Spain (MADE IN SPAIN)

while tiles in moorish designs are not relevant to Barcelona, you can by replicas of paving stones and other tiles designed by Gaudi and in use.

Spain
reviews: 5
8. Re: Best things to buy in Spain (MADE IN SPAIN)

The Camper brand of shoes.

Rhode Island
reviews: 20
9. Re: Best things to buy in Spain (MADE IN SPAIN)

One of my favorite things to buy in Spain is expresso spoons. They are great for jams and mustards as well as fabulous baby spoons. There are some great kitchen shops or El Corte Engles.

My daughter said that she and her husband found some original tiles in a dumpster (Gaudi) and she wanted to send me some for my garden but the price for shipping was crazy. I guess we will gradually transport them on our annual trips!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 77
10. Re: Best things to buy in Spain (MADE IN SPAIN)

Leather goods seem to be a good buy in Spain. Shoes/boots are quite often stylish with good quality, and the prices are reasonable.

Home decoration and furniture are good buys too but you will need to arrange to ship things back.

Since you are from the US, I don't think they'd let you bring ham back. For others, depending on your country of origin though, the cost of the Iberico ham is like a steal.

Wine is always a good choice, subject to duty and your luggage limitations.

Spanish clothing can also be a good buy. For the same price, they offer great styles and good quality. Adolfo Dominguez, Desigual, Pull and Bear, etc are all good brands to check out.