We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Barcelona

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Safety in Barcelona

We have just returned from a long weekend trip to Barcelona. It is a city we would recommend you visit however please be very aware of pickpockets. The travel guides warn you about pickpockets and bag snatchers around the Las Ramblas area of which we were mindful. However on Sunday at 5.15 in the afternoon we were approached by two young girls who inferred that they were Italian, spoke English and said they were lost. It was on a street called Via Laietana and not far from a police station. We were relaxed having had a good day at the beach and thought that we could help out as they seemed plausible, not your idea of the stereotypical thieves. How wrong we were, they had a map which was in two parts and was used by them to hide the fact that whilst one girl spoke to me underneath one piece of the map the other girl unzipped my bag, took out my purse, removed the notes then placed my purse back into my bag. I noticed that they had been in my bag before they were able to zip it up again. They denied that they had touched me or had gone into my purse. They are very good and very fast. They obviously only take notes and no personal stuff. We think that the idea is they believe you won't know what has happened or when you lost your money. We felt stupid that we had got ourselves into this situation and let our guard down. So take note of the advice don't carry too much money in your bag, put some into your pocket; don't trust anyone and keep your wits about you at all times not only when walking through Las Ramblas.

essex/suffolk,englan...
reviews: 9
1. Re: Safety in Barcelona

totally agree .just got back from a weekend and was shocked by the level of crime.im fairly well travelled in europe and the u.s and nowhere,even the notorious rome or new orleans can hold a candle to the level of theft and scams i witnessed in 2 days.out of my party of 5 ,two were pickpocketed and one one scammed by the old ball under the cup trick.his fault i know but he basically surrounded by the gang and mugged.gypsies contstantly tried to steal things from the table,even the tip you leave.in fact nearly everyone we spoke to had a similar story.at night prostitutes approach you for trade and when they finally realise your not interested they brazienly try to pickpocket you anyway!!!this was all on the ramblas.one poor lad from slovenia was attacked by 3 men and robbed on his way back to his hotel barely 100 metres off the ramblas.barcalona has got to clean up its act.not an enjoyable place to go.