We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two week stay to study spanish in Valladolid

Which Valladolid hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Two week stay to study spanish in Valladolid

Hello there,

I am looking into accommodation options for a two week stay in August attending a spanish course in Valladolid.

I suppose the best would be staying with a family (which the school will arrange), but as I am an older person (mid-forties) , I thought this may be a bit akward. I was wondering about a basic but decent hotel or a flat where I could have my own room. The language school is on Calle Santiago 15 1º Izq. 47001, which I assume is a central location, so I would ideally like a place that is located nearby.

I would appreciate advice as to what my accommodation options may be and how much I should be budgeting for. Pardon the long post. Many thanks.

London, United...
1. Re: Two week stay to study spanish in Valladolid

Hola Philistine,

I am going to the same school (FLE) for the 1st two weeks of July. I too am older. I am staying in a single room in the Hostal Paris in the city centre near the schoool. I booked directly with the hostal over the internet and paid 47 euros per night in advance. An older friend of mine spent two weeks at the school in April. She stayed with a widow / pensioner (arranged by the school) but she also booked ONE night at the Hostal Paris through an agency and paid less than 47 euros. Did you "win" a scholarship (una beca)? I did - but tuition only. I have researched things extensively , so if you want any more info, just ask.

All the best

Neil

London, United...
2. Re: Two week stay to study spanish in Valladolid

Hola Neil,

Profound appologies for not replying and thanking you for your kind reply much earlier. I checked it a couple of times, but there were no replies, so I stopped checking for a while.

Yes, I got the 450 euro 'beca' for lessons and excursions only, so I'm looking into the accommodation options. I have scheduled Mon Aug 6th - Fri Aug 17th, so I booked my inbound and return flights to Madrid for Sun Aug 5th and Sat Aug 18th; I will then get the ALSA bus from Madrid to Valladolid.

Accomodation wise, I imagine that staying in a hotel might be more comfy, but then you would isolate yourself a bit from interacting with locals, which is probably the best way to learn. I'm still weighing up the options.

Staying with a family, you could be a bit restrained in your social life. E.g. what if you came late from a bar a 2 am, waking those in the house up etc etc.

I have been doing quite a bit of research into Valladolid too, even looking at maps and all that.

Any other insight you can give would be appreciated.

By the way, what level of spanish are you?

Un saludo

P.

Madrid, Spain
reviews: 1
3. Re: Two week stay to study spanish in Valladolid

This bilingual link maybe might be useful for exploring sights in Valladolid and surrounding.

http://www.spainisculture.com/en/

Madrid, Spain
reviews: 1
4. Re: Two week stay to study spanish in Valladolid

Miguel Delibes (Valladolid 1920 - Valladolid 2010) was a member of the Royal Spanish Academy, where he occupied chair "e". His last major work, El hereje (The heretic), a tribute to Valladolid, was published in 1998 and was awarded the National Fiction Prize. Route of The Heretic in Valladolid:

spainisculture.com/en/…ruta_del_hereje.html

Brandon, Florida
reviews: 36
5. Re: Two week stay to study spanish in Valladolid

Hi Philistine33

Judging by your school's address, we'll be at the school at the same time. (your last week is my first week). I'm also in my 40s. It's nice to see that there might be are other older students there.

I'm staying with a family because I think it will increase my interactions in Spanish. I don't think it's likely to squash social life because, in my experience, the Spanish stay up VERY late and are very social. The only exception would be if I were to stay with a family that has very young children. I'm sure I'll work something out with the family.

I guess I'll be at B1 level (they say that they'll test us on our first morning). Do you think we would come across each other at the school? I gather that they have classes in several different buildings.

You start in a couple of days. Your travel arrangements are exactly like mine (adjusted for our different travel dates) although I'm staying for 6 weeks. Good luck for Monday. I'd be very interested in any observations you make about the course.

ciao

AM

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid
reviews: 2,230
6. Re: Two week stay to study spanish in Valladolid

Friends:

Be sure to see the Museo Oriental, which is the biggest museum of its kind in Spain. The artwork displayed here was collected over the centuries by the Spanish monks who lived in the Orient.

London, United...
7. Re: Two week stay to study spanish in Valladolid

Hello AM,

Just finished my first week here. It's been ok so far and I have I week more. I am in the B2 level. My campus is the one on calle Rastrojo, so if you happen to be in the building, you can ask for Philip (I am the only one there with that name). It's fun going out and hanging out with the students from class and practicing. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Cheers.

R.

8. Re: Two week stay to study spanish in Valladolid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, August 16, 2013