We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternative to Puerto Mogan

Which Gran Canaria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
devon
reviews: 26
Alternative to Puerto Mogan

Looking to go Gran Canaria over Christmas and very much liked the sound of Puerto Mogan in TA reviews/forum. However most apartments are either full or very expensive or both! Anyone any suggestions for an alternative that might be similar but cheaper!!

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
reviews: 42
1. Re: Alternative to Puerto Mogan

Not sure what your actual dates are but anywhere in the South is going to be expensive over Christmas although you might get it a little cheaper up to December 27th. Then it gets really busy and expensive. Think 25% up on peak summer prices. So if you have your heart set on Puerto Mogan I think you may have to bite the bullet There isn't anywhere like it on the island but if you want somewhere couth with a good variety of choices for evenings and days then I would look next at Meloneras. But that won't be cheap either.

Perhaps you could narrow down what it was about Puerto Mogan you liked. I, for instance, could rave about it for a day trip or possibly a couple of nights but after that I would be looking elsewhere so many of the justifiably good reviews may have been based on a short visit . I know many have come from people staying in a resort type complex. And there are many of those on the island but you wanted an apartment.

devon
reviews: 26
2. Re: Alternative to Puerto Mogan

To clarify. 23-30 Dec were the dates. P Mogan appealed being a quiet, scenic, interesting tasteful resort with character as opposed to the high rise, lager lout, English breakfast loud style resorts that exist elsewhere. That's what we are seeking, not necessarily in the south and not necessarily apartment, just not as expensive. Prices at Mogan seem to me to be about double what I would expect even at Christmas!

cleethorpes
reviews: 9
3. Re: Alternative to Puerto Mogan

All the Canaries are very expensive over the Christmas ,New year Period no matter which island or resort you choose .....nothings cheap !! That said you can save IF you are willing to fly out on Christmas day .....

In such a small place like Mogan rooms will go fast and most certainly prices wont go down ...flights ! well the plane companies know its a time like kids summer holidays when they can hold up on high prices

Hampshire, UK
reviews: 53
4. Re: Alternative to Puerto Mogan

I'd second the suggestion of Meloneras as an alternative to Mogan - but that won't be cheap either, especially over Xmas I'm afraid....

5. Re: Alternative to Puerto Mogan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, August 10, 2014