We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mahon Airport - Car Hire

Which Ciutadella hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Falkirk, Scotland
reviews: 2
Mahon Airport - Car Hire

We are travelling from Edinburgh to Mahon and staying at Ciutadella in June next year and are looking to hire car at the airport. Want to book online or by phone before travelling to gurantee getting a car. Looking for recommendations for reliable car hire company that don't have hidden fees on arrival and are actually based at the airport - thanks

11. Re: Mahon Airport - Car Hire

Can anyone recommend poppy cars

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
reviews: 34
12. Re: Mahon Airport - Car Hire

Not personally as I am using them for the first time this year ( I usually end up booking online with Owners Cars but decided to use Poppys this time as so many people said how good they are) but there have been lots of good recos on this forum and I am sure someone will pop uop soon and tell you how they use them regualrly. If you want to see some of the existing posts please see the Top Question on Car hire and/or type in poppy cars into the forum search engine. Main problem ( if being popular and fully booked is one for them) is that they only have a limited fleet so they get booked up quickly and you need to book early if you want to use them

Edited: 5:40 pm, January 27, 2013
Cheshire
reviews: 50
13. Re: Mahon Airport - Car Hire

Whilst maybe not appearing to be the cheapest at first glance do check out the www.rentacarsalgar.com

I have used the for years and they have always been prompt, reliable and polite.

They do not have a fuel selling policy which I consider a rip off and you do not have the near impossible task of returning the car empty.

There is no extra charge for a second driver and and unlike some other companies there are not complicated additional costs to get an adequate level of insurance.

The cars are well maintained. Do remember by and large you get what you ay for.

The other advantage is that they have an English agent in England who you speak to and the website is translated into good English.

In high season it is necessary to book well in advance.

Poppy Cars also have a good reputation.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
14. Re: Mahon Airport - Car Hire

Just to add to that, Poppys is run by Roger and Sue Evans so no language difficulties there either - see website for both Menorcan and UK telephone numbers ( http://www.poppycars.com/index.php ). Poppys quote you one price to include everything except fuel ( a lot of companies charge extra for child booster cushions/car seats or extra drivers - they dont)

I see that Duggers ( see post 4) uses Poppys all the time - it all depends WHEN you want the vehicle and where you need to collecti it from ( Megzy is posting on west coast forums and I do not think they deliver to the west coast areas so it would be an airport pick up or nothing) As Dettorifan says , the smaller firms with good rep. get booked up quickly so if you are going in high season you need to book up well in advance

Edited: 6:11 am, January 28, 2013
York
reviews: 8
15. Re: Mahon Airport - Car Hire

Hi MenReg

From personal experience I can't recommend Poppycars highly enough. No hidden charges etc. Meet you in arrivals and walk you out to the car. Will talk you through the car if you haven't driven that make/model before.

On return to the airport we were met outside departures. Even had help unloading the car.

Duggers

Sheffield, United...
16. Re: Mahon Airport - Car Hire

WATCH OUT FOR THIS RIP OFF - I’M AMAZED IT’S EVEN LEGAL!!!

My wife and I have just returned from Menorca following a 4 day break. We hired a car on line prior to departure for collection at the airport, via the Do you Spain. com website, which led us to a company called Owners Cars. The advertised hire cost was very competitive and they promised new vehicles.

On arrival at Mahon airport, we went to the Owners Cars desk in the arrivals hall and whilst completing the paperwork were told that for hires of 4 days or more, the car was supplied with a FULL tank of petrol and it was to be returned EMPTY. The car, (a new Toyota Aygo), has a 35ltr tank, does 60-70mpg so we'd have had to cover almost 1200 miles in our 4 day break to use up the fuel they charged us for. We’d be driving all day, every day to cover that kind of distance! Whilst I protested quite strongly to the member of staff, I was firmly told that there was no refund for unused petrol AND to add insult to injury they charged us 2.02 Euro's per litre for it. By comparison at the petrol pumps, petrol prices varied between 1.48 and 1.49 per litre.

As the car was rented mainly to transport us to our hotel, (12.5 kilometres) away and to visit some friends who were also on holiday at a different Menorcan resort, there was no possibility we would use anything like that amount of fuel. Consequently when we returned the car it had well over two thirds of a tank of OUR unused petrol which their next client will be paying THEM 2.02 per litre for! What had started out as an attractive competitive deal, turned out to be a hugely expensive rip off which increased the original quoted cost from a bargain 69.99 Euros to almost 150 Euro’s for a 4 day hire of the smallest car in their fleet.

Last year we also visited Menorca and hired a car from Furgonetas Comerciales in Mahon. They were excellent, courteous and fair. If only we’d remembered their name before this holiday, we would have been happy to go back to them.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
17. Re: Mahon Airport - Car Hire

This is unfair critiscism of Owners Cars WTZ-13 (as others have pointed out in reply to your identical posts in other threads). Fuel charge policies vary from firm to firm but are mentioned in their T&Cs so if you proceed to book you are accepting those terms even if as in your case you did not use the fuel you had been charged for. I see that you booked through a booking agency which then places bookings with whoever they want - the Top Question "CAR HIRE - including WARNINGS" in the Top Question section on the main page of the minorca forum clearly warns people that this is not the wisest move and had you booked direct with Owners the reservation would have been with no payment up front and no cancellation charge so you could have walked away from the deal when you arrived to collect if you had not noticed the full T&Cs when making the reservation.

To be fair to Owners Cars (and the several other large firms on the island that operate "full tank" fuel policies) this IS clearly mentioned in the conditions section of their website - see http://www.ownerscars.com/en/conditions/ . Hirers DO have the option to chose companies that have a "return with same amount of fuel" or "half tank charge" policies - you just have to make sure you know what you are signing up for before you book and "cheap deals" with online booking agencies are not usually the best way to go.

Although I too do not like full tank policies I have to say that it really is unfair to accuse this particular firm of sharp practice when this IS something that is (a) something you could have made yourself aware of beforehand by reading all T&Cs carefully of both the online booking agency and the supplying company , (b) is not unusual on the island and (c) can be avoided if you do your research beforehand. For example Poppy Cars operate a "pay for half a tank bring it back empty" rule and other small firms on the island mentioned in the Top Question section all have their own rules on fuel - you have to go with the one you think is best for your needs

18. Re: Mahon Airport - Car Hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 25, 2014