We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mahon Airport - Car Hire

Which Ciutadella hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Falkirk, Scotland
reviews: 2
Mahon Airport - Car Hire

We are travelling from Edinburgh to Mahon and staying at Ciutadella in June next year and are looking to hire car at the airport. Want to book online or by phone before travelling to gurantee getting a car. Looking for recommendations for reliable car hire company that don't have hidden fees on arrival and are actually based at the airport - thanks

London
1. Re: Mahon Airport - Car Hire

The 'on airport' is a non issue as the smaller (often ex pat firms- search forums for all suggestions ) deliver FOC to the airport & meet your there and drop off is at the airport main car park also.

Those at airport with a booking clerk are Hertz,National,Owners cars, Avis and Europe car off the top of my head. Book in advance nearly always cheaper. There is Goldcar and Hiperrent who are large and offsite - avoid these two. Check petrol policy and most do not cover you for wheel and underbody damages as there are lots of rough track roads to the virgin :-)

Warrington, Cheshire
reviews: 28
2. Re: Mahon Airport - Car Hire

I booked with Owners cars last year and had excellent service. The desk is inside the arrivals hall(National/Atesa desk) We booked 6 months in advance and got a really good deal and a really nice car. The good thing about this company is that they give you a full tank of fuel and you return it with a full tank of fuel. Having been ripped off a couple of times using other companies who give you a full tank and you return it empy (not easy on such a small island), this was the main reason for using Owners cars. I can highly recommend them. I can also highly recommend Poppy Cars who delivered a car to the airport the previous year for us, but had no cars available for my last visit to the island.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
reviews: 36
3. Re: Mahon Airport - Car Hire

I use Owners Cars a lot but not for the full duration of our trip so I use their local (Santo Tomas) office rather than the airport one. The fuel policy seems to vary from company to company and sometimes from season to season so look at this carefully before booking ( also check how many drivers are included in the price). Poppy Cars is an independent that has been around a long time and they will deliver to the airport but they don't have an online booking system so you need to contact them to see if they can help on the dates you want - this is one reason why it is a great idea to look around now.

Like Midge I haven't asked Poppy Cars early enough to get a car when I needed it but they are still a company I would consider using. We always prebook our hire cars and then if something better turns up closer to the time we go with that instead which is one reason why I personaly would not use a company where you have to pay in advance and there are cancellation charges built in - these arrangements prevent you finding something better closer to the time

York
reviews: 8
4. Re: Mahon Airport - Car Hire

We have used Poppy Cars for the last couple of years. Excellent service all round. Cars new, two mins walk from terminal, fuel policy to suit, full run down of car, rules for driving in Menorca, waiting at departures to collect car from you, help loading and unloading car etc etc.

We have always booked before Christmas to ensure we get one with Poppy Cars.

London
5. Re: Mahon Airport - Car Hire

Owners Cars - "The good thing about this company is that they give you a full tank of fuel and you return it with a full tank of fuel. "

This not quite uptodate ( just came back having hired a car from them last week )

The late 2011/2012 policy is (also on website )

"Fuel Policy

Our prices do not include fuel.For rentals of 4 or more days, cars are supplied with ½ tank of fuel to travel and cars have to be returned empty; there is no refund for unused fuel. Remember that the amount is added to the price indicated during booking when the car is picked up. The price will depend on the type of fuel and tank capacity on each car model.For rentals of 4 or less days, the car can be returned with the same amount of fuel as it had when it was picked up"

-so you don't know what you actually paid litre wise

GIven the petrol price increase the bigger firms are operating a similar policy to the above

London
6. Re: Mahon Airport - Car Hire

It does strike me that given most beach resorts do not have a petrol station anywhere close that cars returned to the bases are likely to have a different policy ie return as same/full ;-)

At last count there are only 10 or so Petrol stations mostly in the inland towns

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
reviews: 36
7. Re: Mahon Airport - Car Hire

Re post 6

I agree, if you have a booking with a local office based in a resort not close to a petrol station you may be lucky and find that the office staff say that the tank is half full or whatever and to just return it with the same amount of fuel in it - this is because in high season it is just too time consuming for them to keep driving vehicles out to the petrol station to refill them from empty in between hires.

MenorcaIslandboys comment " ..At last count there are only 10 or so Petrol stations mostly in the inland towns... " brings back fond memories of when I first visited the island in the early 1980s as back then there were only about 3 petrol stations serving the whole island AND they kept very restricted opening hours including little or no Sunday opening - things have changed a lot now and the roads are better too!

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Brighton
reviews: 1
8. Re: Mahon Airport - Car Hire

>>>>At last count there are only 10 or so Petrol stations<<<<<<<

And I've still only used 3 of them!

JtheD

London
9. Re: Mahon Airport - Car Hire

...used 8 so far :-)

Manchester, United...
reviews: 1
10. Re: Mahon Airport - Car Hire

We travelled to Menorca in September 2011 and prebooked a car online. After many recommendations from TA we chose Owners Cars. We booked directly with them rather than going through an agent. When we arrived at the airport there was a massive queue for this counter which took at least 30 mins to clear. We were told this was because it was Friday and that at other times they are quiet. All other counters were empty but much dearer. When we got to the front of the queue everything was dealt with very efficiently and we paid the amount we had been quoted. Around us we could hear other people complaining because they had booked and paid through an agent and were being told they must pay a large amount extra upfront which they could reclaim from the agent later if they had no accidents. I would recomment Owners but only by booking directly. The petrol policy was start half full return empty for a week's hire.

Get answers to your questions about Ciutadella