We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Joan Festival with small children?

Which Minorca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Joan Festival with small children?

Hello! We are trying to plan our first visit to Minorca and Majorca in June and think we would like to be in Minorca over the St. Joan festival. We have 3 small children (2, 4, and 7) so I'm not sure if this is a good thing to bring them to? Can anyone give me any feedback about the reasonabiity of going then and if it would be good with the kids?

I'm having trouble finding accomodations that will take 5 of us as well. Is it likely just very full already that week?

Thanks so much!

21 replies to this topic
kent
1. Re: St. Joan Festival with small children?

Sant Joan accommodation is usually booked out months in advance and often people stay in the east and travel west. There are quieter places where you can see horses parade along the ring road ( by the Windmill ) but I would never take small children anywhere in the narrow streets or Pla sant joan -just too risky. But exhilarating for adults!

Chester, United...
reviews: 27
2. Re: St. Joan Festival with small children?

Hi,

I can't imagine a more exciting time to be in and around Ciutadella. As long as you take normal sensible precautions that you you would with little ones in crowds it will be fine. Lovely areas for kids to play in whilst you sit and have a coffee or beer right next to them. Look at the Ses Pins area for example. You won't struggle for accommodation but you will pay a premium. If you wish PM me and I will give you a few pointers for accommodation. Cheers DB

kent
3. Re: St. Joan Festival with small children?

to be honest I am a bit schocked! 'normal sensible pre-cautions' with pomada filled crowds , heaving masses of people and rearing horses is NOT good advice.

Falkirk, United...
reviews: 3
4. Re: St. Joan Festival with small children?

I definitely wouldn't recommend San Joan Fiesta with small children. Describing the streets as crowded doesn't come close.

UK
reviews: 4
5. Re: St. Joan Festival with small children?

It's possible to be there without being right by all the action, there's the funfair and food stalls, or watching the jousting games at the port, it's crowded but you're safe from the horses as long as you're not trying to run under them or get right to the front! You could also go up in the morning when it's all a bit tamer.

It may be Pomada fuelled but I've never seen anything other than a partying spirit and a bit of silliness, never seen violence or felt in any danger.

I'd say go for it, it's a real experience to see it first hand.

For 5 people you may have more luck looking for a villa if you're finding limited availability in hotels, they will have a limited number of larger rooms available and obviously San Joan week is a busy one.

Menorca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Minorca
reviews: 32
6. Re: St. Joan Festival with small children?

Personally, living on the island and having children aged 2 and 7, I wouldn´t take them to the ciutadella fiestas when the main events (jousting, jaleo, hazlenut throwing, ect) are on. It´s just too busy and prams are a nightmare. I would take them to the fireworks and the fair, but that would be when all the main events are over.

I second the suggestion of looking for a villa instead of a hotel.

kent
7. Re: St. Joan Festival with small children?

have you tried 971 Hotel Con Encanto? which is very charming and you might possibly be able to see the parade from your room window - it is on booking.com

Chester, United...
reviews: 27
8. Re: St. Joan Festival with small children?

It's always a pity when the advice comes in the form of a sweeping generalisation that has seemingly had little thought applied to it. I agree with Raff and SallyAnn. Plenty for families if you take normal sensible precautions as any parent would. Have a look on you tube. Yes the jousting is dangerous so of course you wouldn't take young ones down into the Plaza St Joan when it's on but there are loads of little ones sat on the wall above the jousting happily watching from a safe distance.

It's a bit like saying I would never take my children to a British music festival because crowds get drunk and at 11.00pm on Saturday the mosh pit at the main stage when Primal Scream are playing can be pretty scary. You take my point!

I think it's about cultural enrichment for children.

Final point and it's just a niggle but if you are so "schocked" by my offerings as to lift part of my advice and quote it in speech marks please have the courtesy to use the same grammar/spelling.

kent
9. Re: St. Joan Festival with small children?

Dee, now your advice is less a vague generalisation as you state where it can be safe to watch the fiesta. Neither did I personally say not to watch. In fact I suggested a spot which I know from personal experience is where the riders gather in preparation for another circuit. As you will be aware when you are here longer, the TA system only a allows a certain amount of time before typing errors can be corrected.

Falkirk, United...
reviews: 3
10. Re: St. Joan Festival with small children?

In reply to post 8, I don't believe my comment was a "sweeping generalisation that has seemingly little thought applied to it". I have first hand experience of the Fiesta with young children and it is not something I would care to repeat. The idea of letting my children perch on that wall above the jousting is not something I would consider. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I wouldn't be inclined to take small children to a music festival either.

As for cultural enrichment, at the tender age of 2, 4 and 7, they probably won't care. All that my two girls remember are the fireworks and the pretty horses.

Reply to: St. Joan Festival with small children?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Minorca