We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first visit to Minorca.

Which Minorca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mansfield, United...
reviews: 14
first visit to Minorca.

Hello everyone.

We are looking at coming to Minorca for the first time next June or September for a week all inclusive but as we have never been before I was just wondering which resort would suit us better being 4 adults and 2 kids of 3 and 5 years old?

We would still like to sample the local cuisine and night life even though we would be all inclusive as we do like to get out and about.

Has anyone got any favorite hotels or apartments that they think would suit us.

I do my fair share of planning using trip advisor etc and find it a very good tool but anyone's personal favorites and why would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Ps which month do people prefer? June or September. Budget is fairly liberal but prob not 5 star this time. Looking for more value than anything else. Cheers.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
reviews: 38
1. Re: first visit to Minorca.

Have a look at the Top Questions on the righthand side of the forum page - there give links to various info about the island and its resorts.Once you have a bit more of an idea about which resorts seem interesting, please come back with your short list and I am sure people will be happy to help you.

At this stage all if you are after 4star type location then TBH even though you are looking at All Incl. I would suggest that you do not consider the Cala N'Forcat/Blanes/Los Delfinees area to the North of Cuitadella as this is very much the budget holiday end of the market and is not my favourite part of the island. Cala N'Bosch or Cala Galdana might fit the bill and Arenal Den Castell is a family resort with a large sandy beach, but I suggest you have a look at the Top Questions and see what you come up with

Mansfield, United...
2. Re: first visit to Minorca.

Lovely. That's just the kinda stuff I am after. That narrows it down a bit resort wise. Thanks.

kent
3. Re: first visit to Minorca.

Just my opinion but I think the best value on Menorca ( especially with children that age ) is self catering - the AI is a bit like the supermarkets' 3 for 2 it is often a bit of a smokescreen by tour operators.. like I said, just my experience

Northampton, United...
4. Re: first visit to Minorca.

As MenorcaRegular has said, Cala Forcat/Blanes area is more budget, most places being only 2 or 3 star, but prices reflect this if your looking for value.

It offers the most for kids on the island, with bars having bouncy castles etc for them. It also have a choice of 3 beaches (again not anything like the best on the island, but ok for kids). There is also a water park in the middle of the resort.

Menorca Sea Club is aimed more at familys with young children, and Binimar is very popular with familys.

Mansfield, United...
5. Re: first visit to Minorca.

Thanks for your replies guys. The main reason that we are going all inclusive is that the other couple (our son and his young family) with us are young and on a tight budget so we thought that would be the best option for them. It really is a price thing for them so they don't find themselves spending hundreds of euros whilst they are there. It's their first holiday abroad together so if you think we might be better off looking self catering I will certainly dig a bit deeper and find something.

Minorca appeals to us for the relative quietness and lovely beaches. The young ones are happy just to be away but we would like there to be a bit of something else to do apart from a hotel complex.

Thanks again guys.

Looked at the sur Minorca in Punta prima. Any thoughts on that anyone?

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
6. Re: first visit to Minorca.

I have to disagree with Mark Z about Forcat . From what you have said so far I do not think it is the best option and even if you are going downmarket in your choice of accommodation for this holiday in order to accommodate your son's budget; it is important to get the resort right. "Value" is relative and the cheapest option is only “value” if you are not disappointed in a place when you get there - for example see the comment in post 2 of tripadvisor.co.uk/…45501128. If as a family you are used to more upmarket holidays (you mention "not 5 star this time" in your original post), then I think that a resort like Forcat could be disappointing and if your son and his family are tight for funds it would be very sad for them to end up spending extra cash unexpectedly because they are not happy with the hotel and/or its location.

I take it you have now looked at some of the info websites mentioned but have you also looked at the TA reviews of the hotels you are thinking of using as well ( see the "Minorca Hotels" link on the top left-hand side of the forum page)? Small children will be happy virtually anywhere so long as the adults with them are enjoying themselves so I suggest that you find 2-3 resorts that you like the look of and then try and find suitable accommodation in one of these. Re your question about the Sur Menorca, I do not know the hotel itself but can tell you that Punta Prima has a good sandy beach and although it is not overly busy, there are some nice restaurants and bars there..

Edited: 4:02 pm, December 26, 2012
reviews: 2
7. Re: first visit to Minorca.

Cala galdana is a really nice family resort that may suit you. The beach is beautiful with very shallow safe water for your little ones and stunning clear blue sea. There is a nice family atmosphere and entertainment for the kids in the square in centre of resort. Investigate it!!! Worth a looj and other forum members may be able to add more to my info.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
8. Re: first visit to Minorca.

Yes, Galdana is another place to consider although it does get quite busy in high season. The beach there is just stunning and is often used for promo photos for the island as well as for brochure info ( see photos of the resort at http://www.islas.co.uk/galdana_photos.htm ).

If you like the look of Galdana, EssexGirly is always someone who is able to give very good info about the resort as she and her family have been staying there for many years ( see a list of her posts at http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/members-forums/EssexGirly) .

Bedfordshire
reviews: 6
9. Re: first visit to Minorca.

We have been holidaying in Arenal D'en Castell for many years, some lovely apartments right on the beach and many owned by british families. Great for the kids, our older teenagers love it there still and are now bringing their boyfriends along too! The apartments book up pretty quickly in the school hols (usually a year in advance or more) but June or Sept you should still find availability. The beach is great for kids, really safe and just so pretty. The facilities in the apartments are great so if you are on a tight budget you can mix eating in with eating out, many of the appts have bbq's on their balconies too and the supermarket above the apartments has a good supply of meat/poultry to throw on the bbq. Families keep coming here year after year, meaning you get to know lots of people who can tell you lots about the area, restaurants, etc. If you still prefer all inclusive, the Hotel Aquamarina next door does just that!

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
10. Re: first visit to Minorca.

to BTS

Re your question about Son Bou on the Still Lurking thread, I don't know the Valentin personally but IMO Son Bou is much much nicer than the Forcat area suggested earlier. There are a lot of apartments there with selfcatering so there are shops to serve that market as well as restaurants etc.. Son Bou has a lovely beach but because there is an area of nature reserve running along it ( the Valentin hotel is set in the area behind this) access to the beach isn't always easy from everywhere in the resort. I was told there was a cut across but do not know where it is and as most of the dune area is strictly roped off/no entry you need to do some research if you need to be sure of direct access to the sand !

The Sol hotel complex ( see http://www.melia.com/hotels/spain/menorca/sol-milanos-pinguinos/index.html) is in the centre of the resort and very close to the beach - if you chose that location I recommend that you sign up to the free Sol Melia "Mas" program ( see https://www.melia.com/mas-rewards/mas.htm ) as you can often get free late check outs if you are a Mas member (up until 2 pm instead of 12o'clock ).

If you walk along Son Bou beach and up along the headline path you eventually get to Santo Tomas - which is a quiet resort but has 2 places offering All Incl via Uk packages - the Victoria Playa (hich I would not recommend as the hotel has small rooms and there were "issues" last season over fire safety - see TA reivew section) and the Mestral & Llebeig appartments ( 1/2 or 3 bed ones which would give a family more room) but it needs to be said that Santo Tomas is quieter than Son Bou so does not suit all tastes

Edited: 8:04 am, December 28, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Minorca