We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Rioja & San Sebastian - Best month to visit

Which San Sebastian - Donostia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
La Rioja & San Sebastian - Best month to visit

We are planning a trip to la Rioja and San Sebastian. It seems like the best months to visit La Rioja are in the fall, while the best time to visit San Sebastian is the summer. Any thoughts on this? What is the best month/time to visit both? I'm thinking July or September.... Thanks for any help on this.

5 replies to this topic
Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia
reviews: 255
1. Re: La Rioja & San Sebastian - Best month to visit

Weather is better in July but the city will be much busier. It depends whether you want a quieter city experience and potentially worse weather or busy city and warmer weather.

Personally, I would probably go for early September.

Edited: 2:09 am, January 20, 2014
Vitoria-Gasteiz...
reviews: 35
2. Re: La Rioja & San Sebastian - Best month to visit

the whole of september is very nice and october if you love fotography for the colours of the wineyards.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia
reviews: 2,531
3. Re: La Rioja & San Sebastian - Best month to visit

prairie:

Summer will have the best weather.

NYC
4. Re: La Rioja & San Sebastian - Best month to visit

When you say "summer" - which month? From what I have read August sounds like a bad time to visit La Rioja since most things are closed. Looking for the right balance... Thanks!

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
reviews: 3
5. Re: La Rioja & San Sebastian - Best month to visit

Either options are good. San Sebastian is very rainy and summer does not guarantee rain free days. Rioja wine region (I assume you´re talking about the wine region and not the province) is much drier and weather will likely be nice during your visit. SS International Film Festival takes place at the end of Sept, so lodging will be scarce and expensive. And Rioja may be visited any time...it´s full of history and beautiful towns, and wineries are open all year round.

Reply to: La Rioja & San Sebastian - Best month to visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Sebastian...
More San Sebastian - Donostia Topics