We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SS to Pamplona for bull run - renting a car

Which San Sebastian - Donostia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wash, DC
reviews: 2
SS to Pamplona for bull run - renting a car

My girlfriend and I will be renting a car and driving from Madrid to SS on the 13th day. We will stay overnight and wake up very early in the am and drive to Pamplona to participate in the last day of the running of the bulls. I assumed it was easier to find a place to stay at SS than it would be in Pamplona for that day - am I correct?

For the last day of the bull runs, what time do I need to get to Pamplona by and how long will it take to drive from SS to Pamplona assuming I leave very early in the am?

Many thanks!

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
reviews: 3
1. Re: SS to Pamplona for bull run - renting a car

The running of the bulls starts at 0800, so try to be there by 0700 at the latest, you´ll have to find a parking place and get to the Old Town in time...and it will be packed. Allow one hour and a half for the drive.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia
reviews: 255
2. Re: SS to Pamplona for bull run - renting a car

The area around the race is closed off to traffic during the whole of San Fermin. See the map here: biarritzairporttransfers.com/Biarritz-to-Pam… If you have accommodation booked then you are allowed to drive closer. So outside of this cordon the parking situation is quite difficult as lots of people are arriving just for the race.

Between San Sebastian and Pamplona is an excellent toll motorway. It does climb quite steeply over some mountains but should take you about 1 hour 15 minutes. In the link above is a video of the driving route but this is from Biarritz so not quite the same as this one: http://goo.gl/maps/QwWVS Once in Pamplona allow up to an hour for finding a parking space and making your way to the start.

The Spanish police take drink driving very seriously. There are usually road blocks all around the city and almost everyone is breathalysed. In one 12 hour period I was checked 3 times. So don't drink the night before in San Sebastian.

Wash, DC
reviews: 2
3. Re: SS to Pamplona for bull run - renting a car

Very helpful information. My plan is to be 100% sober for the race! :)

Would you recommend, then, to actually stay over night in Pamplona?

If the race starts at 8am, at what time does it end? I imagine I would leave pamplona by around 10-11 if I choose to leave soon after race?

Thanks again! Much appreciated.

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
reviews: 23
4. Re: SS to Pamplona for bull run - renting a car

it ends around 8:03 if everything goes well, 8:20 or 8:30 if you decide to get into the bullring and hang around a bit. Party time will start at that time, tho.

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
reviews: 3
5. Re: SS to Pamplona for bull run - renting a car

Mmm...I wouldn´t call it a race, really. It´s very quick, the usual running time is around three minutes...so plenty of time to enjoy the post-running atmosphere.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia
reviews: 255
6. Re: SS to Pamplona for bull run - renting a car

If you can afford the inflated San Fermin prices then stay overnight in Pamplona. Some of the car parks on my previous link are designated 'sleeping in your vehicle' car parks. Not a comfortable night's sleep but a cheap one!

7. Re: SS to Pamplona for bull run - renting a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 25, 2014
Get answers to your questions about San Sebastian...
More San Sebastian - Donostia Topics