We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days to see SS, Bilbao and Where else??

Which San Sebastian - Donostia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
reviews: 6
5 days to see SS, Bilbao and Where else??

We arrive in Madrid early on sept 9 - thought we would rent a car and drive (to see the sights) or fly to SS/Bilbao??

Spend 2 nights in SS and 2 nights in Bilbao - But where to go

for another day +? What is a fabulous area not too far or on the way back to Madrid? Also thought we need at least one full day in Madrid-

thoughts appreciated.

Er

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
reviews: 2,711
1. Re: 5 days to see SS, Bilbao and Where else??

Er:

I would stop at Burgos and see the magnificent Cathedral there. They have just cleaned it and it is one of the most beautiful in Spain.

We had lunch at a wonderful restaurant called Rincon de España. This restaurant was beside the Cathedral and we ate at the outdoor patio, where we could see the magnificent facade of the Cathedral.

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
reviews: 96
2. Re: 5 days to see SS, Bilbao and Where else??

Yes, I agree with Benny, I'd stop in Burgos. The cathedral is nothing like what you'll have seen in SS or Bilbao, it's a city that's easy to do in a day, and there are some lovely places to stop off between Burgos and Madrid, (and between the Basque Country and Burgos too) the easiest being Lerma, just a little further on down the A1 from Burgos, and hardly a detour as it's right on the motorway. A nice short stop.

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
reviews: 3
3. Re: 5 days to see SS, Bilbao and Where else??

I´d stop at Laguardia, in the heart of the BAsque Rioja wine region. Spectacular landscape, lots of history and wonderful wineries...and close to the road to Madrid. Burgos is an excellent option too, the cathedral is simply breathtaking, a great example of gothic style.

Los Angeles
reviews: 6
4. Re: 5 days to see SS, Bilbao and Where else??

great thank you so much !

5. Re: 5 days to see SS, Bilbao and Where else??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 am, August 21, 2013