We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for things to do/see or places to eat during roadtrip

Which Bilbao hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melton Mowbray...
reviews: 140
Advice for things to do/see or places to eat during roadtrip

Hi

12th of July we arrive in Bilbao for 2 nights followed by:

3 nights Gernika

3 nights San Sebastian

2 nights Legaurda

2 nights Zeani

Can anyone recommend things to do, see or places to eat at during our first roadtrip in the Basque region.

Any advice would be very gratefully received.

Many Thanks in advance

Liz

7 replies to this topic
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
reviews: 2,678
1. Re: Advice for things to do/see or places to eat during roadtrip

Liz:

In San Sebastian go to the old area behind the Ayuntamiento Building. There are many restaurants and bars where you can see the pintxos on display. All you have to do is choose the pintxos you want to try.

If you like Chinese food, the Hotel Maria Cristina has an elegant Chinese restaurant called Tse-Yang. The food and service here are very good.

Melton Mowbray...
2. Re: Advice for things to do/see or places to eat during roadtrip

Hi BennyMalaga

Thank you so much for your recommendations! I'll be sure to visit the old area, the pintxos are one of the things I'm looking forward to!

I do really like chinese food, but while in Span would like to make the most of the local gourmet.

Thanks for taking the time out and for your help:-)

Liz

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
reviews: 3
3. Re: Advice for things to do/see or places to eat during roadtrip

Would Legaurda be Laguardia? But I can´t identify Zeani...

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia
reviews: 325
4. Re: Advice for things to do/see or places to eat during roadtrip

There are many suggestions on the right-hadnside of this page for things to see and do in Bilbao. Go to individual forums for suggestions at other towns.

Melton Mowbray...
5. Re: Advice for things to do/see or places to eat during roadtrip

Hi MikelBasqueGuide

Yes, you are right, my correction, it is Laguardia. Also it is not Zeani, but infact Zeanuri. Apologies for the confusion. Any recommendations you can give would be most welcome.

Meantime, I'll take your advice BiarritzTaxi and search TA for suggestions too.

Thanks very much for your time in posting replies, it really helps!

Liz

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
reviews: 3
6. Re: Advice for things to do/see or places to eat during roadtrip

Well, plenty of things to do and see around Laguardia...I´m going to the area today, in fact, to visit a small winery. It´s wine country, of course, and there´re plenty of family wineries, as well as those that are well known and are on the tourist route. To stay in Zeanuri comes a bit of a surprise...it´s absolutely gorgeous and I believe you´re staying at a rural lodging? Not much to do, unless you like hiking. There´s a water mill still working, the lady there shows you how it works. And great food in a Basque atmosphere, most people are Basque speakers (don´t worry, they speak Spanish too). The natural park of Gorbea, Otxandio, Urkiola sanctuary, Elorrio...are visits you can do in one day.

Melton Mowbray...
7. Re: Advice for things to do/see or places to eat during roadtrip

Hello again MikelBasqueGuide.

Thank you so much for your wonderful recommendations, though you have worried me slightly saying how surprised you were that we booked Zeanuri - you see this is what happens when you travel to a region for the first time! We did aim to end our holiday with a bit of forced relaxation in the mountains, however as you say, it doesn't look like there is much to do in the area:-( Elorrio looks like a nice village to visit, I can't find out when the musical festival is this year, would you know?

Laguardia - yes, we aim to do some wine tours, 2 which came up where Bodega Torre de Ona and Bodega Casa Primicia. We usually prefer to stay off the tourist routes, unless they're especially good. The medieval town in itself will be interesting, we're staying inside the city walls.

Once again, thank you so much for taking the time out, your advice is invaluable for a first time traveler:-)

Enjoy your trip today:-)

Liz

Reply to: Advice for things to do/see or places to eat during roadtrip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted