We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

After Bilbao, head east or west?

Which Bilbao hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
berkshire, england
reviews: 16
After Bilbao, head east or west?

I've just booked tickets for a week long trip starting in Bilbao. I want to split the week into two parts. I have given two days to Bilbao itself, but am more interested in spending the remainder of the week touring from a base outside of the city, anywhere up to about 2 hours away.

I have considered Santander, San Sebastian and Soria (the latter mainly because it would allow me a day trip to Zaragoza, which has been on my "to do" list for some time).

I can see the merits of all three towns, but want to make my decision based on the day trips I can do from there, and am not coming up with much. Can anyone suggest which of these areas would give me the best options for day trips? Looking mainly for character/historical towns and scenery.

Vitoria-Gasteiz...
reviews: 53
1. Re: After Bilbao, head east or west?

Hello littlerussell,

well, you have good options on both sides of Bilbao. For a day trip you can go to the west to:

A. Santillana del Mar and Altamira caves and if you have still time, you can go to Comillas or San Vicente de la Barquera.

B. Other towns on the west are Laredo and Castro Urdiales and the city of Santander

On the East you have these options:

C. 1 day tour to San Sebastian, making stops in Getaria and Zarautz

D, 1 day along the Biscay coast to Gernika and the Urdaibai Biosphere reserve.

E. 1 day tour to see Biarritz, Saint-Jean-de-Luz and Hondarribia.

To the South you can do:

F. 1 day tour to Vitoria-Gasteiz. A charming town with a beautifully preserved historical city center.

G. 1 day tour to Rioja wine production area.

G. The salt valley of Añana and some churches and dolmen in the Alava plateau are really surprising scenarios as well...

Instead of Soria I would consider making a stop in Tarazona, more on your way to Zaragoza and a really charming town, but in my opinion is too long for a day trip (I would recommend sleeping in Zaragoza one night to do this. There are around around 3 hours driving by motorway from Bilbao to Zaragoza).

Wish that you enjoy your North of Spain tour!

Aitor Delgado

Hope that you enjoy the Basque Country.

Vitoria-Gasteiz...
reviews: 53
2. Re: After Bilbao, head east or west?

Sorry,

in to the South section I meant:

To the South you can do:

F. 1 day tour to Vitoria-Gasteiz. A charming town with a beautifully preserved historical city center.

G. 1 day tour to Rioja wine production area.

H. The salt valley of Añana and some churches and dolmen in the Alava plateau are really surprising scenarios as well...

3. Re: After Bilbao, head east or west?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, April 17, 2014