We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where next?

Which Bilbao hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast
reviews: 59
Where next?

Just returned from a week in Santiago de Compostela. We all loved it. Would Bilbao or San Sebastian be a good option for next visit to Northern Spain. Any ideas?

Thanks

Mick

Alicante Province...
1. Re: Where next?

Hi Downing!

If you have a week to spend you can easily visit the Basque Country, it is quite small and has good communications.

I supose I'm not the most objective person because I'm basque, but every friend I have taken to visit the Basque Country has loved it.

If you finally decide to go on with the trip don't hesitate to ask me for help.

Bye! Agur!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
reviews: 2,793
2. Re: Where next?

Mick:

I spent a week recently in Bilbao and there were so many things to see there that I was occupied all week. The city is beautiful and very clean.

San Sebastian is also a beautiful city, but the main sight there is the beach. Check the top questions in the San Sebastian forum. San Sebastian is only 100 km away from Bilbao and there is frequent bus connection.

Belfast
3. Re: Where next?

Thanks to both of you. I am still in post holiday blues mode so the thought of a trip to the Basque country cheers me up. I will have two teenagers and my wife with me. Bilbao ok for 14 and 18 year old? Is a pool a good idea? I think I would prefer Bilbao with its old town and they might prefer San Sebastian. But I am the one paying!

Thanks

Mick

Bilbao, Spain
reviews: 37
4. Re: Where next?

Hi,

I'm from Bilbao, so my opinion is not totally objective :) If the youngsters like the beach, they can visit many easily from Bilbao in a 30 min ride. Using the metro you can go to Getxo, Sopelana or Plentzia's beaches as we, locals, do.

Also you can visit the Guggenheim and the Museo of Bellas Artes for a bit of culture. If you like eating and drinking, in Bilbao there are a lot of pintxo bars waiting for you.

The decision is yours, but i'm sure that you will love the Basque Country whatever town you decide to stay.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Belfast
5. Re: Where next?

Thanks Javier

Mick

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
reviews: 3
6. Re: Where next?

And weather is pretty much like yours, so pool is not a popular option in hotels...

Belfast
7. Re: Where next?

That alas might be a crucial factor. The kids missed a pool in Santiago

Thanks

Mick

8. Re: Where next?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, August 22, 2013