We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how far santander to bilbao?

Which Bilbao hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
reviews: 1
how far santander to bilbao?

planning a further long weekend visit in basque but wonder whether I can 'do' both santander and bilbao in 1 weekend.

Is there much to do/see in santander or is it better to spend the entire weekend in bilbao?

Also, what exactly is there in san sebastian (is it a holy site etc.) as I've got a 8 & 5year old in tow who may not have the patience for many more churches/cathedrals!! (they like eating & don't mind castles/battlements, medieval towns etc.)

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 16
1. Re: how far santander to bilbao?

With only a long weekend, I'd stick with Bilbao and spend a little time out on the coast at Getxo and possible some time in Portugalete, but of which can be reached on the metro/commuter rail from the heart of Bilbao in only a few minutes.

Santander is about an hours drive west of Bilbao. The bus takes a bit longer. There is currently no rail connection.

San Sebastian-Donostia, along with Bilbao and Pamplona form what has become the gastronomic capital of Europe, if not the world. San Sebastian is well know for its three beautiful beaches and many other sights and has a number of great attractions for children.

You may want to download a copy of Maribel's Guide to the País Vasco for a little more information on how to spend the weekend with the children (http://maribelsguides.com).

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
reviews: 2
2. Re: how far santander to bilbao?

I just love your diplomatic answers, Robert...

San Sebastian must surely be one of the most beautiful cities in the world, a great place for kids and yes, the gastronomic capital of the world.

I´d spend at least a day in each of the cities you mention.

Madrid, Spain
reviews: 1
3. Re: how far santander to bilbao?

Try pintxos (tapas) in San Sebastian:

www.todopintxos.com

4. Re: how far santander to bilbao?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 am, August 31, 2009