We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a bus to Minas de Rio Tinto from Sevilla?

Which Seville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, North...
reviews: 3
Is there a bus to Minas de Rio Tinto from Sevilla?

I would like to visit the town of Minas de Rio Tinto. How do I get there from Sevilla? Could this be a day trip from Sevilla?

Thanks!

14 replies to this topic
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
reviews: 2,678
1. Re: Is there a bus to Minas de Rio Tinto from Sevilla?

inCharlotte:

I have been to Rio Tinto while traveling in Huelva. There is nothing to see there except the mine pit. I would not waste my time there. It is very difficult to go there except by car. I would discourage you trying to see it.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
reviews: 214
2. Re: Is there a bus to Minas de Rio Tinto from Sevilla?

Benny

If you read this page it seems that there is a lot to see.

spain.info/en_GB/reportajes/riotinto_marte_e…

It is easy to get to Riotinto. You can take a bus leaving daily from Seville or Huelva , and on arrival the best thing is to head for the Mining and Railway Museum, where they will help you organise your day. Make the most of your visit to explore the history of mining and metallurgy from the Bronze Age. Among the valuable pieces on display in the exhibition is the "Maharajah" narrow-gauge railway wagon dating from 1982, considered the world's most luxurious. There is also a full-scale model of a Roman mine where you can see the working conditions of the period.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 22
3. Re: Is there a bus to Minas de Rio Tinto from Sevilla?

If you scroll down to page 9 in this document

http://www.damas-sa.es/horarios.pdf

You will see the times of the buses between Huelva and Rio Tinto and also between Seville and Huelva. Unfortunately this does not tell you what time they arrive, just when they leave!

I cannot find any evidence of a direct bus from Seville to Rio Tinto despite it being only about 50 miles.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
4. Re: Is there a bus to Minas de Rio Tinto from Sevilla?

I have long wanted to visit the mines having seen the remains of the railway line and dock at Huelva city itself and reading about the history of this mining exploitation in the 19th Century. The British introduced the game of Football here and gradually it caught on in Spain !

This is the Mining Museum web and best to contact them direct to organise things.

http://www.parquemineroderiotinto.com/

some reviews

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g187442-…

Edited: 8:37 am, March 24, 2014
Lagos, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos
reviews: 36
5. Re: Is there a bus to Minas de Rio Tinto from Sevilla?

On the trail of the lonesome pine, and spurred on by Cubsur's and Cadiz_lover's comments, I took myself of on a Quixotic Andalusian, trek courtesy of mapas.google.es, damas-sa.es and movelia.es...

and guest what...

It appears that the week-day buses from Huelva to Rio Tinto continue on to Nerva, a fairly sizeable two-horse pueblo, we once passed through which is only 5kms from Minas de Rio Tinto. (It appears that the bus runs straight through to a pueblo called "Bea" and only starts dropping of and picking up from there en route to Nerva.)

So (a weekday example):

Dept: Huelva 09:30

Dept: Huelva 12:00

Dept: Huelva 18:00

Arr/Dep Minas de Rio Tinto:11:15

Arr/Dep Minas de Rio Tinto:13:45

Arr/Dep Minas de Rio Tinto:19:45

Arr: Nerva 11:30

Arr: Nerva 14:00

Arr: Nerva 20:00

Return:

Dept: Nerva 07:00

Dept: Nerva 09:00

Dept: Nerva 14:00

Dept: Nerva 16:00

Arr/Dep Minas de Rio Tinto:07:15

Arr/Dep Minas de Rio Tinto:09:10

Arr/Dep Minas de Rio Tinto:14:15

Arr/Dep Minas de Rio Tinto:16:15

Arr: Huelva 09:00

Arr: Huelva 10:45

Arr: Huelva 16:00

Arr: Huelva 18:00

Now, the Damas timetable states that there is also a bus service to/from Sevilla to Nerva (No. 501) as follows:

Dept Sevilla: 10:30

Dept Sevilla: 15:30

Dept Sevilla: 17:30

And back from Nerva at:

Dept Nerva: 05:15

Dept Nerva: 09:30

Dept Nerva: 18:30

This seems to be the Damas Sevilla Plaza das Armas to Zalamea La Real 501 Service. HOWEVER, nothing comes up on a search from Sevilla to Nerva with movelia.es. Based on what I have been able to gleen from searching Sevilla Plaza das Armas to Zalamea La Real on movelia.es , it seems to take the bus about 1hr 50 minutes to wander down from Sevilla to Nerva and v.v. It seems that the service does pass Rio Tinto 10 minutes earlier/later.

SEVILLA (Plaza de Armas) 10:00 / 10:00 0 Km

CAMAS 10:05 / 10:05 5 Km

BARRIADA DE SANTA CRUZ 10:10 / 10:10 7 Km

SANTIPONCE 10:15 / 10:15 11 Km

LAS PAJANOSAS 10:35 / 10:35 28 Km

EL GARROBO 10:45 / 10:45 40 Km

VENTA LA PLATA 10:55 / 10:55 50 Km

CASTILLO DE LAS GUARDAS 11:00 / 11:00 58 Km

MINAS CASTILLO DE LAS GUARDAS 11:10 / 11:10 63 Km

LA AULAGA 11:20 / 11:20 67 Km

NERVA 11:40 / 11:40 91 Km Parada inicial

RIOTINTO 11:50 / 11:50 95 Km

EL CAMPILLO 11:55 / 11:55 99 Km

It appears to me that as the buses cross the boundaries between the provinces of Sevilla and Huelva, the through routes are not being showing because of local fare subsidies.

So it looks like one could get the bus from Sevilla Estacion Autobus Plaza das Armas at 10:00, get to Riotinto at +- 11;50 and get the 18:25 (not Fridays before public holidays) back to Seville arriving at 20:10.

A search for the route of the following site seems to confirm this: http://www.autobusesplazadearmas.es/

My brain is now fried!! ;)))

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
6. Re: Is there a bus to Minas de Rio Tinto from Sevilla?

I still think it's a good idea to ask the people at the Minas de Riotinto using the contact details shown on

http://www.parquemineroderiotinto.com/

:-)

Lagos, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos
reviews: 36
7. Re: Is there a bus to Minas de Rio Tinto from Sevilla?

¡Estoy de acuerdo!

Vale!

Edinburgh, Scotland
reviews: 6
8. Re: Is there a bus to Minas de Rio Tinto from Sevilla?

Back in Nov '13 I responded to another post about the Rio Tinto mine that the current poster may find interesting. The text was;

I was there in the summer (2013) but did not do the museum. It's vast and interesting area of industrial archaeology on a grand scale. The English village of Bella Vista is interesting complete with sentry post to keep the locals out and I had 'pleasure' of playing the 9-hole golf course, which is apparently Spain's oldest course (1880 something) - all it lacks is grass! There is grass on the tee boxes and greens (immaculately kept) but the rest is barren multi-coloured earth landscape. Lets just say the bounce of the ball is unpredictable.

I have to recommend my hosts Fran and Mike at http://www.visit-rural-spain.com/ at the really lovely village of Corteconcepcion which is about 30 minutes drive from the Rio Tinto mine.

I would add that its within reasonably easy reach of Seville with a hire car.

Montreal
9. Re: Is there a bus to Minas de Rio Tinto from Sevilla?

I also think you should check with the local tourist office.

Last November we had hoped to do a day trip from Seville to Aracena, take a walk to another town and then walk back or take another bus back to Aracena to catch the last bus back to Seville. I saw this recommended in a few guidebooks and I did the research on the internet but the plan didn't work out because the bus schedules on the smaller local lines seemed to have changed and didn't allow for what I'd planned. This may have been seasonal.

No one in the Seville station could offer info on the smaller bus lines' schedules.

So I suggest you check with the local tourist office and keep your schedule somewhat flexible.

Good luck!

Charlotte, North...
10. Re: Is there a bus to Minas de Rio Tinto from Sevilla?

Thank so much for all the information! I am actually going there to trace my roots. My grandfather was born in Minas de Rio Tinto.

Thanks again!

Reply to: Is there a bus to Minas de Rio Tinto from Sevilla?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted