We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaga to Seville trains

Which Seville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St Andrews
reviews: 37
Malaga to Seville trains

Sorry, I've been reading all the advice on the forum but am still confused over the different trains. There appears to be the Avant fast and expensive, MD slightly slower and half the cost, and cecernias the really slow trains? Is taking the middle option of the MD best as we don't want to the journey too long but don't want it to be too expensive either? Do they all leave from the same station in Malaga, and how often does the MD run as we'll be arriving early afternoon. Any help in clearing up my confusion greatly appreciated.

España
reviews: 2
1. Re: Malaga to Seville trains

There are only two type of train service from Málaga to Seville and you were correct with both of them - the Media Distancia (MD) and the AVANT. The AVANT is around 30 to 40 minutes quicker than the MD but is more expensive. The AVANT is €42 one way and the MD is €23.20 one way so as you can see the 40 minutes extra journey time is probably worth the saving.

All trains to Seville depart from Málaga Maria Zambrano and the MD trains in the afternoon are at 14.08, 16.48 and 20.05, journey times just over 2.5 hours.

There are trains called Cercanías trains but these are very local trains, none run from Málaga to Seville but both cities have Cercanías lines for commuters and shoppers etc. It rather like the local trains that run in to Glasgow or Edinburgh to get people from the outskirts of the cities into town.

Hope this makes sense!

http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html for ticket prices and timetables.

renfe.com/EN/viajeros/cercanias/index.html if you want to know more about the Cercanías services.

Dundalk, Ireland
reviews: 14
2. Re: Malaga to Seville trains

Rosie

If your a tourist then what the heck .. your not in any hurry, are you?? .If so go for the MD trains all the time. They are fast,clean and very good value for money and the ride from Malaga to Seville on the MD passes through the El Chorro Gorge..Watch out for it about 40 min out of Malaga...

Enjoy Wonderful Seville

Edited: 7:59 pm, February 09, 2013
Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
reviews: 4
3. Re: Malaga to Seville trains

Just make sure you take some bags full of nice refreshments on the MD, all it has is a rubbish (and expensive) vending machine on board - you're saving €20 each so that should buy a good train-picnic!

Edited: 4:12 am, February 10, 2013
Newcastle, United...
4. Re: Malaga to Seville trains

We are going to Seville at the end of June and returning from Seville to Malaga on a Saturday. I can't find any MD trains on Renfe's website for June/July. Does anyone know why? Are timetables/tickets not released for MD trains until nearer the time or do they just not run then?

Oswestry, United...
reviews: 3
5. Re: Malaga to Seville trains

Re#4 - you are looking for the timetable too early (timetable/prices/ whatever changes take place twice yearly, one at the beginning of June)

Look to an imminent date, there will be little or no difference both schedule and price wise.

Edited: 4:58 am, May 24, 2013
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid
reviews: 2,230
6. Re: Malaga to Seville trains

Rosie:

Renfe always puts the summer schedule late and you have to check every day. Read Buying Renfe Tickets Online.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
reviews: 4
7. Re: Malaga to Seville trains

As Wombat says, just look at the timetable for a date near to now, the times vary very little except over holiday weekends. There aren't any advance discounts so no need to plough through long articles about online purchases.

There is a discount for buying a return ticket, you can get your tickets from the easy-to-use machines at Málaga Maria Zambrano station.

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 2
8. Re: Malaga to Seville trains

I had the same problem. I am travelling from Seville to Malaga on the 19th of June and the MD trains were not timetabled after the 15th of June. I have been checking every day and today was the first day that the MD trains were available on the date I want to travel. So keep checking, it seems like they are updating the timetables at the moment!

Newcastle, United...
9. Re: Malaga to Seville trains

Thanks for the info.

I've checked and MD trains are starting to appear nearer to the time we need them. We are returning from Seville to Malaga on Saturday 29th June but the first train so far is Avant at 9.20am. Hope there's going to be a 7.40am MD that day or it will be a mad rush to get to Malaga airport.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 19
10. Re: Malaga to Seville trains

Hmm, that train is not listed for the 22nd either.

FIngers crossed.