We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6-night trip to Southern Spain

Which Seville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, WA
reviews: 1
6-night trip to Southern Spain

Hi fellow travelers:

The 3 of us (me, husband, adult daughter) are planning a trip to London in April, followed by a week in Southern Spain.

I'd love some opinions on the following and any advice or recommendations:

1) We'd fly from London to Seville

2) We want to be in Seville for the fair, and also visit Cordoba (day trip fine) and Grenada to see the Alhambra

3) We'd like to either get a large room/suite in the old quarter of Seville and Grenada, or a vacation rental. We're on a modest budget, and would like to pay less than $150 a night if possible.

4) We need to get back to Madrid at the end, to pick up our flights back to the US

I've wanted to go to Andalusia forever, and am especially interested in seeing and hearing some flamenco and of course seeing the Alhambra.

I'm getting the idea from this forum that tooling around without a car, using buses and trains instead, is affordable and easier. we'd like to not have to drive unfamiliar road and deal with Spanish road rules if we don't need to.

Any and all advice would be appreciated!

Gracias!

Hermosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Andalucia
reviews: 23
1. Re: 6-night trip to Southern Spain

Is there any way you could stretch the trip to 7 nights? You really need 4 nights in Sevilla especially with a daytrip to Cordoba and 2 nights in Granada. Then you have to spend your last night in Madrid. A car would be great if you had time to roam around but you'll find plenty to keep you busy in Sevilla, Cordoba and Granada for just this amount of time. I personally wouldn't rent a car to get between these places as I wouldn't want to deal with driving into the cities, navigating and the then the parking can be costly. I also think you get more local color by using public transportation....but that's my opinion ;)

Seattle, WA
2. Re: 6-night trip to Southern Spain

Thanks, good thoughts. I'm not sure we can stretch it further, especially we have to spend a night in Madrid. Was hoping we could get a red-eye home, but it might not work out that way. What would you do with this limitation? should we forget Cordoba, or spend just one night in Grenada?

Hermosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Andalucia
3. Re: 6-night trip to Southern Spain

It's kind of difficult to get a red-eye home when you gain 9 hours :)

I'd be a little tempted to give up Granada and just spend 5 night in Sevilla especially with the Feria. This would give you time for a daytrip to Cordoba (if you don't go en route to Madrid) and perhaps even another place. Your budget might be a little tight during Feria. I'd definately look into renting an apartment. I had a great experience last year with sevilla5.com.

Hope this helps.

Hermosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Andalucia
4. Re: 6-night trip to Southern Spain

Just had another thought - would it be a possibility to fly into Malaga from London? Or to fly home via Malaga?

If you flew London to Malaga you could get a bus to Granada and spend 2 nights. Then hed to Sevilla for 3 nights and visit Cordoba en route to Madrid for your final night.

If you were able to get a flight home from Malaga then you could possibly spend 4 nights in Sevilla w/a daytrip to Cordoba, then 2 nights in Granada and perhaps get an early bus to Malaga to catch your flight home.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid
reviews: 2,230
5. Re: 6-night trip to Southern Spain

colette:

Read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online.

In Seville I have stayed at the Hotel Becquer downtown, in a very good location.

In Granada I have stayed at the Tryp Albayzin downtown.

For train travel, read Buying Renfe Tickets Online.

Seattle, WA
6. Re: 6-night trip to Southern Spain

I"ll look into Malaga -- that sounds like a good idea.

Thanks Benny for your tips.

7. Re: 6-night trip to Southern Spain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 11, 2014