We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cadiz at Easter?

Which Seville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oxford, United...
reviews: 1
Cadiz at Easter?

I'm thinking of a short break over Easter 2013 in Cadiz - will lots of places (attractions, restaurants, bars) be closed? I hear that Easter is a big deal in Spain and I'm wondering if we'll find it too quiet, and hard to get dinner reservations, etc?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
reviews: 223
1. Re: Cadiz at Easter?

Easter is big in Cadiz. You will find many people taking advantage of the period to enjoy the city. Do not hesitate. Go !

Hermosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Andalucia
reviews: 24
2. Re: Cadiz at Easter?

I can confirm that Semana Santa in Cadiz is quite nice - it's my "go-to" city each year! However I've also heard that Jerez has great Semana Santa processionals without the massive crowds. I'll be in Jerez a this year so unfortunately cannot personally confirm. One of my other favorites for Semana Santa is Cordoba. It's a city chock full of beautiful churches with a strong Semana Santa tradition - crowded but again not to the extent of Sevilla.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
reviews: 223
3. Re: Cadiz at Easter?

Was in Jerez one Easter Holy Week and it was warm and lovely. The processions wind past the central square called Plaza Arenal and continue through the old city streets down to the cathedral . The art with all these processions is to work out the route from looking at the local paper or on the internet and decide which place would make a good vantage point. if the rains do not spoil the week, as occasionally it has done becasue the exquisite floats will not leave the churches, it is one of the best opportunities to see the character and soul of the Andalucian people.

Oxford, United...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Cadiz at Easter?

Thank you all - I think we'll go for it, I am keen to take advantage of the Uk bank holiday days off work to go to a new city in Spain but one that I can get to from a direct flight from the UK! Sounds like I don't need to worry about it, we went to Jerez a few years ago and loved it but found everything totally shut on a Sunday - only the station pizzeria was open. So i am just keen to avoid 3-4 days of Sunday-like trading in terms of eateries, attractions and shops!

Hermosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Andalucia
reviews: 24
5. Re: Cadiz at Easter?

ksimeons - So glad you've decided to visit. You won't find eateries closed down during Semana Santa as they'd loose big potential business. Most businesses will close on Thursday afternoon and all day Friday. Attractions may have limited hours (especially churches) and again most will close on Thursday afternoon and all day Friday. This is the case in all of the places I've visited in Andalucia during Semana Santa.

@Cadiz-Lover -

" it is one of the best opportunities to see the character and soul of the Andalucian people"

This so sums up my thoughts on Semana Santa too. There seem to be visitors that love traveling to Andalucia during this time or they hate it. I'm in the former category. Hopefully the weather will be better than the last time I visited in 2011 when it rained nearly every day and most of the processionals were cancelled!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
reviews: 2,793
6. Re: Cadiz at Easter?

ksimeons:

Book a hotel early because all of Spain will be on vacation during Holy Week and hotels will be very crowded.

7. Re: Cadiz at Easter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 19, 2014