We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Andalucia

Which Seville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Andalucia

if I have a car is it preferable to rent a single place in the country and do day trips to cordoba, Sevilla, Granada, Nerja or move bettween places spending a day or two in each? How feasible is a central base and day trips? Thanks for any thoughts.

Hermosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Andalucia
reviews: 24
1. Re: Andalucia

I'd consider 2 bases. This is kind of hard to answer as you don't mention how much time you have.

I personally wouldn't do a daytrip to visit Sevilla - there's too much to see. Granada can be done in a day but it would be rushed to see much other than the Alhambra. I'd consider spending at least 4 days in Sevilla and daytrip to cordoba (if your time is limited Cordoba can be done as a daytrip but it's gateway for a couple of nights). You could then move east for the Granada and Nerja visits. Malaga would be one base where you could daytrip to each. Or you could stay in Granada or Nerja and visit the other.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia
reviews: 2,419
2. Re: Andalucia

Bob:

Read the Driving Guide for Foreigners. Hotels charge 11 euros a night for parking and there is no free parking in cities.

For train travel, read Buying Renfe Tickets Online.

Chicago, Illinois
3. Re: Andalucia

Thanks, your right my post could have been more helpful, new to the site.

We have about a week to eight days. In past we have rented houses for a week or two in the country side in provence and tuscany and then used that as a base for visiting more major places and found it an enjoyable way to travel. Didn't know if the Andalucia area leant it self to this sort of travel in terms of road quality, distances between things and availability of properties like that somewhere in the "middle" of the various places.

Thanks again and in advance for any thoughts you might have.

Lagos, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos
reviews: 36
4. Re: Andalucia

When are you planning to visit Andalucia???

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
reviews: 23
5. Re: Andalucia

andalusia is too big for a sigle base. Seville would be one base, giving you access to Cordoba, and either granada or malaga another base, giving you access to nerja.

I wouldn't rent a car as it's a hassle inside city centers, and public transport (train/bus) is great.

Chicago, Illinois
6. Re: Andalucia

mid June

Lagos, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos
reviews: 36
7. Re: Andalucia

Ow!

Be aware that much of the Andalucian plateau will probably be like a furnace in Mid-June.

It's not for nothing that the Sierra Nevada range in Califonia and Nevada were named after the original range near Granada in Andalucia.

It is quite possible that temperatures may reach 40ºC in mid-afternoon. Seville can be an absolute scorcher at that time. Everything will close down apart from the big stores between 13:00 and 17:00..

If I were you I would recommend four days based in or around Sevilla and four days based around Granada/Jaen.

alberta
reviews: 26
8. Re: Andalucia

After much research including consultation with this forum we will be spending 4 nights Seville, 3 nights Granada and 3 nights Malaga. We are renting a vehicle the last day in Seville and will do various days trips from those centers. The journey between points are day trips also.

Thanks by the way to those people who have been so helpful.

Edited: 10:37 am, January 16, 2013
Hermosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Andalucia
reviews: 24
9. Re: Andalucia

I'd consider adding a day to Sevilla and you'll have time for an additional daytrip -Oosuna, Carmona, Ecija, Jerez, Cadiz or Sanlucar. All are easy using public transportation. I prefer this area of Andalucia to the eastern area. With your current 4 nights for Sevilla a daytrip to Cordoba is a must.

Northampton, MA
reviews: 31
10. Re: Andalucia

The cities in Andalucia like Sevilla, Cordoba, Granada, Malaga and Cadiz etc are amazing and have so much more to offer than staying in the country. IMO Nerja can be "done" as a daytrip. There are far more interesting places to spend your time in Andalucia.