We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feria de abril 2013 Sevilla

Which Seville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 24
Feria de abril 2013 Sevilla

Myself and my husband would love to go to the Feria de Abril in 2013. Can anyone tell me how I'd go about booking into the marquees and other events such as flamenco shows and bullfights? Would Seville be overcrowded and really expensive at this time? Is there a good transport system for getting around the city? What happens in the exhibitions marquees? Any ideas for a mid-range hotel near to the events/

Many Thanks

Boston...
reviews: 34
1. Re: Feria de abril 2013 Sevilla

I'm researching the same topic.

I don't have much info yet but the good links are:

www.andalucia.com/festival/seville-feria.htm

exploreseville.com/events/feriadeabril.htm

seville-traveller.com/feria-de-sevilla.html

Bus: For buses Tussam has a very good bus map available from the information offices with all the routes or see Tussam's site http://www.tussam.es/ that shows routes and maps. The most useful for the city centre are C1 to C5 that go in a circular route around the centre. The bus fare is 1.10 euros (Oct 08) that you can pay on board or you can buy a book of 10 tickets (bonobus) for 5 euros that you buy from kiosks in the street with prensa written on them.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
reviews: 2,793
2. Re: Feria de abril 2013 Sevilla

sun:

Yes, Seville gets very crowded and you need to make hotel reservations early.

Hermosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Andalucia
3. Re: Feria de abril 2013 Sevilla

What do you mean by the exhibitions marquees?

The Feria is concentrated in the fairgrounds outside of the center so Sevilla itself doesn't feel crowded. But hotel proces are at a premium. The casetas, or private tents, within the fairgrounds are not open to the public with the exception of just a couple of public casetas.

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
4. Re: Feria de abril 2013 Sevilla

if by marquees you mean the casetas (tents), then I'm sorry to bring sad news: most casetas are privately run, for members, so there will be some security outside stopping you from entering. There will however be some public casetas. I would recommend you to buy a newspaper in Seville (ABC or Diario de Sevilla) where you'll get a Feria map and all the different public casetas. Horse parade is everyday until 6pm in the Feria. Bullfighting is in the bullring somewhat far from the Feria, in the city center. If the toreros are well-known, it'll be difficult (and expensive) to get tickets. You can pass by in the morning to see if you can get some.

Prices will go up in hotels and the feria itself during that week, but city center restaurants and bars will be calmer than usual (a good thing imo) because feria is outside the city center.

Seville has a public transport network including buses, metro, tram and trains. Feria connections to the city center and other places is well covered with special bus lines, regular bus lines and metro line (metro is working 24/7 at feria)

Dublin, Ireland
5. Re: Feria de abril 2013 Sevilla

Thanks putnitza, but its beginning to seem like a bit hectic and expensive. Think I'll visit Seville another time when its not so expensive!

Hermosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Andalucia
6. Re: Feria de abril 2013 Sevilla

Just to reiterate: Sevilla center is not at all hectic or crowded during the Feria as the above posters have stated. The fairgrounds are away from the center - a good 20 minute walk or easy to access to bus. But hotels in Sevilla are at premium prices.

Chesapeake...
7. Re: Feria de abril 2013 Sevilla

I'd like to answer your question about what goes on inside the 'casetas de Feria', since I was born and raised in Seville. As it was explained before, most of them are private and paid by: families, clubs, associations, or businesses for their members and/or workers. They are also places to invite friends and clients alike and it gives prestige to the sponsors. It is convenient and helpful to know people 'with casetas', so that you have several places to rest, eat and enjoy the atmosphere.

The caseta is usually divided in two rooms. The front room, with a 'tablao' in the center or on one side. This tablao is used to dance 'sevillanas', our traditional dance. People of all ages come out to dance and show their art. Around the tablao there are numerous tables and chairs. Sometimes, the dance music and singing is recorded and played loudly throughout the day or it may be sung and played live. This usually happens in an expontaneous way, among friends.

The back room is usually less noisy and crowded, depending on the time of the day. There is always a bar that serves cold drinks (Jerez and Manzanilla wines plus local beer are typical) and tapas (cured meats such as jamon, caña de lomo, as well as seafood and the traditional Spanish omelette). Prices are usually high during the week of Feria, so familes are known to bring their own food to the Feria (at least until 20 years ago).

I hope this gave you a little more insight into one of the best known Spanish traditions, the 'Feria de Abril de Sevilla'.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
reviews: 223
8. Re: Feria de abril 2013 Sevilla

If it is hot and you like a drink (or two) the tubo (plastic glass) of dry sherry mixed with soda water or even lemonade (Sprite) makes for a popular Feria drink : Called REBUJITO.

or a standard is a beer and it has to be CRUZCAMPO which has been brewed in Seville for over 100 years.

The dance that you can see - the SEVILLIANAS - has a distinctive rhythm and steps that are well practiced by the participants ! For a taste just put : FERIA DE SEVILLA 2012 SEVILLANAS into You Tube and watch some !

Chesapeake...
9. Re: Feria de abril 2013 Sevilla

I must say that mixing Sherry with anything is very recent, certainly less than 20 years old, and it might have had foreign influence (it has been done in the U.S. for a number of years). Personally, after enjoying Sherry for over 40 years, I consider mixing it a form of insult to our wonderful and special wine and don't promote it.

The other beer made in Sevilla is or was Estrella del Sur; while less popular than Cruzcampo, it has/had numerous fans and it was served during the Feria as well.

Any of the flamenco dances require much learning and practice in order to be performed properly. Same with the different flamenco 'aires', each has peculiarities that make them different and unique, but they are all recognizable as 'flamenco'.

Carolina, Puerto...
reviews: 1
10. Re: Feria de abril 2013 Sevilla

Even though the Feria of Sevilla is out of ths world, you may be interesed in La Feria del Caballo en Jerez. Usually happens in May. A little smaller but almost all the casetas are public. Having been raised in Sevilla, with roots from Jerez I now attend the one from Jerez.

Enjoy there is nothing like Andalucia