We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Much less accomodation choice

Which Granada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London England
Destination Expert
for Granada
reviews: 2
Much less accomodation choice

The government are in the process of passing a new law which will make it illegal to rent a private house for less than 30 nights.

This will effectively mean that it will be illegal to offer property for rent on sites such as airbnb, holidaylettings, flipkey, house trip etc.

It will only be possible to stay at hotels and official places.

The government seem to be bending to pressure from the hotels.

Some people prefer to stay at private houses or villas rather than hotels.

The idea of renting a villa for a few days with your family will become illegal and anyone who rents it to you will be a pirate.

If you want to come to Andalucia to stay in a villa with your family, would you pay a lot more more and go to a hotel or would you go somewhere else (maybe Turkey or Greece) ?

I think the government might be making a mistake and may well be shooting the tourist industry in the foot. What is your opinion?

Edited: 5:08 am, May 18, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 47
1. Re: Much less accomodation choice

Paris is threatening the same thing. We only use apartments. We tend to stay for extended periods and this makes it affordable (we cook most meals in) and it also lets us deal with health issues that require special diets. If Paris enforces the law, we will stop going to Paris although we have spent literally years there, over the years. We often go and rent for 2 mos at a time. We would never stay in a hotel more than 2 or 3 nights. The same with Spain. We are in Spain for 3 weeks currently and will have apartments for a week here and there.

People who use apartments are a different sort of traveler and they are not likely to switch to hotels when there are apartment options the world over. We will be in an apartment in Granada next week.

Edited: 5:33 am, May 18, 2013
manchester
2. Re: Much less accomodation choice

This is a very short sighted approach and I would think that countries adopting this will see a drop in the number of tourists . Plenty of people prefer staying in private accommodation (myself included) for all sorts of reasons. I don't think a one size fits all approach is a logical step- it's going backward if you ask me....

Viola

Hermosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Andalucia
reviews: 23
3. Re: Much less accomodation choice

I think it would be a big mistake and can't understand in the current economic climate why they'd consider this change. There will be a huge market of tourists that simply will not visit Spain - they won't shift to hotels. So it will not be a gain to the economy. I hope this legislation doesn't pass.

Will this include rental agencies and all apartment rentals or just rentals from private individuals?

4. Re: Much less accomodation choice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 21, 2014