We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Alhambra

Which Granada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon coast
reviews: 69
Getting to Alhambra

I notice one website recommends a walking route from Plaza Nueva in order to see the surrounding area on the way to the entrance. Also mentions that it is up a hill! Anyone know how long of a walk this is and how steep? I assume there will also be much walking once we get on the grounds.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
reviews: 2,678
1. Re: Getting to Alhambra

ljr:

I would not do it. The hill is VERY steep and it would take you too much time to climb it. The Alhambra was constructed there for the very reason of defense, so the steep hill was chosen.

Yes, you will have enough walking at the Alhambra and its gardens. Do not tire yourself trying to climb that hill!

Oregon coast
reviews: 69
2. Re: Getting to Alhambra

Ah, good to know, Benny. I will check out the bus or taxi.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
reviews: 39
3. Re: Getting to Alhambra

The very frequent Alhambrabus is the definitely way to do it on the way up the steep hill. And if you've any 'legs' left after all the walking inside the Alhambra, then you could always walk downhill on the way home (or take the bus again). Click on Route no 30 in the attached.

transportesrober.com/transporte/lineas.htm#

Edited: 3:24 pm, March 14, 2013
UK
reviews: 62
4. Re: Getting to Alhambra

I'd like to ask a supplementary question on this subject. I'm visiting in June and plan to collect pre-booked tickets in the Alhambra shop in town the day before. As I understand it, this would allow us to go straight to the Gate of Justice rather than trekking all the way to the main entrance. As we're actually staying on the doorstep of Plaza Nueva, I'm assuming that this is the best option? (it'll be first thing in the morning)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
reviews: 214
5. Re: Getting to Alhambra

macsporran (are you Scottish by any chance LOL) - the idea of entering through the Justice Gate with your ticket in hand is excellent. I have done this and first time was when the road called Cuesta de Gomérez (the way leading up to the Alhambra complex) was indeed a road and the old micro buses used to start the ascent from the corner of Plaza Nueva and Cuesta de Gomérez . For several years now that way has become more pedestrianized because after the lovely gate of Pomegranates or rather the Puerta de las Granadas (see this Panoramio : https://ssl.panoramio.com/photo/35644864 ) you have the park and the path leading up on the left side follows the outer wall of the Alhambra. You will reach the fountain with a nice statue of Washington Irving and some steps that wind round to the great Justice Gate which was the main entrance for those visiting the Alhambra in olden times.

This shows the path looking down from those steps near the gate

https://ssl.panoramio.com/photo/38475415

and this shows the Justice Gate

https://ssl.panoramio.com/photo/182498

Allow up to 30 minutes for a slow stroll up from Plaza Nueva and through the Justice Gate.

Many people who visit the Alhambra miss this entrance because they arrive by car and park at the top car parks. The main entrance is at the higher part of the complex hence this way up to the Alhambra is not really part of the tour.

In my opinion it does make a great way to understand the Alhambra complex and to walk the way those originally did in centuries past especially first thing in the morning and perhaps armed with a ticket to visit the Nasrid Places early on as the entrance for Nasrid is close to the Justice Gate. Also you have the chance to visit the Alcazar fortress before the Nasrid Palaces then continue up to Generalife and its gardens for later morning with perhaps a stop over at the Parador hotel terrace for some refreshment.

One should not miss the Partal gardens if you have the time because they offer some great views and photo opportunities. including this well known view :

https://ssl.panoramio.com/photo/14325057

If you still have legs after the morning visit you can walk down a different route between the Generlife and the main part of the complex called La Cuesta de los Chinos leading down towards the Albaicín and the River below. To follow this path just go right out of the main entrance pavilion to the route down the hill and then right again near a restaurant. It makes for an almost complete walking tour of the outer walls of the Alhambra and you can return to Plaza Nueva along the river.

Of course you can always take the micro bus down the hill.

Edited: 11:23 am, March 15, 2013
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
reviews: 214
6. Re: Getting to Alhambra

Have just read Benny's advice in #1 above and whilst I do not disagree with some level of steepness I think anybody with average fitness and with the correct timings for Nasrid entrance etc etc could easily accomplish. I am over 65 and recently walked up and down for the night time opening and again the following morning. At the end of the night visit it was a pleasure to find LA GRAN TABERNA on the corner still open with some refreshing wine and tapas.

UK
reviews: 62
7. Re: Getting to Alhambra

Thank you C_l, you've confirmed everything I was hoping to hear. Roll on June!

manchester
8. Re: Getting to Alhambra

Hi Cadiz lover

read your post about access to the Alhambra

My husband cannot walk too well or fast, but we would like to go into the Alhambra via the Justice Gate- can we get a taxi there or is it all pedestrianised up that road . If we can where would be the best place to get a taxi-, we are staying along the river at the foot of the Alhambra at the Hotel Zaguan.

Cheers

Viola

9. Re: Getting to Alhambra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 03, 2014