We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Problems buying Spanish bus tickets online

Which Granada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 3
Problems buying Spanish bus tickets online

I've just tried to buy a bus ticket from Malaga to Granada but the website says my bank won't authorize the payment, (and there's enough money in my account). Before I contact my bank, I wondered if anyone else has had problems using UK VISA cards and if the problem could be at the Spanish end?

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
reviews: 4
1. Re: Problems buying Spanish bus tickets online

The Alsa site is rubbish Jack, you don't need to buy in advance unless you are travelling at a peak holiday time, just be at Málaga bus station 30 mins before the bus departs to allow time to get your ticket.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia
reviews: 2,431
2. Re: Problems buying Spanish bus tickets online

Jack:

Most Spanish never buy bus tickets online. They just go early to the bus station to buy the tickets.

Nerja, Spain
reviews: 40
3. Re: Problems buying Spanish bus tickets online

No need to pre-book tickets for the Malaga-Granada route. Just arrive at teh bus station early enough to get your ticket before boarding.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
reviews: 204
4. Re: Problems buying Spanish bus tickets online

ALSA site is generally good with plenty of information. If you read the FAQs Top 10 you can see the first one :

Can I pay with a bank card not issued in Spain?

Alsa.es only accepts bank cards issued in Spain. Those people who wish to pay with international bank cards must use our PayPal payment system.

To see the FAQs look at top right corner of page and WHAT DO YOU NEED ?

Edited: 2:51 am, March 06, 2013
London England
Destination Expert
for Granada
5. Re: Problems buying Spanish bus tickets online

The solution is to open a paypal account and pay with that.

Oregon coast
reviews: 69
6. Re: Problems buying Spanish bus tickets online

So there would not be a crunch on a weekday in early October?

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia
reviews: 2,431
7. Re: Problems buying Spanish bus tickets online

ljr:

I do not think you will have a problem in October.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 4
8. Re: Problems buying Spanish bus tickets online

I too have had nothing but problems trying to book ALSA from Canada. Do you think travel from Granada to Cordoba on a Sunday morning in May would be a problem? Do you think we can wait and do it in Spain at a bus station about a week prior to our travel or should we try and fight with the PayPal method?

Thanks for any information.

London, United...
9. Re: Problems buying Spanish bus tickets online

Many thanks for all the help, it was really useful as much for the reassurance as the practical help. Re-reading my initial message I notice that I wasn't clear enough, initially I'd hoped to get the bus from Malaga airport to Granada, and these tickets did sell out before I arrived, but a 30 minute bus ride to the bus station (3 euros if I remember right) meant I could buy a ticket for the very next bus and got to Granada earlier than if I'd waited at the airport.

So, to ljr and CanadianCouple I think you'll have no problems buying on the day. By all means try paypal and/or buying a week in advance, but given that I was travelling during Easter week, which is a BIG holiday in Spain, I shouldn't think you'll encounter any problems. You can buy tickets from a machine in the bus station which gives very clear guidance in English too if you prefer.

10. Re: Problems buying Spanish bus tickets online

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 11, 2014