We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airbnb

Which Granada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Regina, Canada
reviews: 6
airbnb

Hello TA friends.

I am considering booking a room in a private home through airbnb.ca and am wondering if anyone has used this site before. I already have a hotel room booked but the price through airbnb is 1/2 that of a hotel and in the same neighborhood.

There are about 12 good reviews for the room.

19 replies to this topic
London England
Destination Expert
for Granada
reviews: 3
1. Re: airbnb

Airbnb is a good system.

Although I probably wouldn't stay anywhere unless they have a lot of reviews. Anyone home owner can sign up to airbnb and it probably takes a few bad reviews before rip off ones get dropped.

The people who actually earn the money from the tourists live in the local community and spend it in the local community as opposed to hotels where all the money normally goes to big corporations in a distant country

where they don't pay any tax so maybe airbnb is a good thing.

Airbnb is what all hotels and even this site should fear.

In New York it is actually illegal to rent your own house for less than 30 nights, this must be to protect the hotels.

Regina, Canada
2. Re: airbnb

Thank for your insight and response Steve. Interesting that after I posted this question last night, there was a story this morning on the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Coorporation) about airbnb. The story about how this is a new trend and benefits of it. One of the announcers stated that she had just used it. I was laughing because I first heard about it yesterday, then the CBC does a report on it!

I was also wondering why you think that this site should fear airbnb?

Thanks again for your insightful response.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
reviews: 9
3. Re: airbnb

Listings on airbnb was meant to be for those who have a spare room to let. ie non professionals. However over the years some professionals now list on the website.

However the news in the vacation industry is that when things go wrong there is no back up for either party.

It seems that now that some cities, but not Granada, are now looking at the listings to find property owners who break local laws and regulations. Things like not applying to safety regulations or even tax evasion is another aspect they look at. Perhaps that is why some properties are so cheap.

London England
Destination Expert
for Granada
reviews: 3
4. Re: airbnb

It's not true about there being no back up.

Some crazy person smashed a person's house to pieces. After that airbnb were worried that all home owner would get frightened so they now have an insurance policy which guarantees many hundreds of thousand in case of a similar incident. There was a story of someone being raped as well.

More info.

pulse2.com/2011/…

The reason it is so cheap is that there are very few middle men and intermediates. Lots of people have a spare room who would like to earn some extra cash.

There is no actual rule that says that the host should be non-commercial. Anyone with a place to stay can advertise. Most of the people on airbnb are commercial. They put a photo and some details to make themselves look like an individual but in reality it is just a normal renting business.

In Spain anything that is official and legal just means that someone was prepared to postpone the opening of their business for a couple of years waiting for pointless and unnecessary paperwork which benefits nobody and makes nothing safer or better or someone who has an "enchufe" (a contact) who works in the government department who can speed things up.

There is a grey area because it is not illegal to rent a property and nobody can say it is illegal in mainland Spain. Interestingly for many years it has been officially illegal to rent your own house to anyone in Tenerife in the Canary Islands. Only registered companies can do tourist lets. It is even illegal to let your friends and family stay in your house. Airbnb in Tenerife is definitely illegal.

In the UK it recently because apparent that many big companies do not pay any tax in the country they operate in. For example Star Bucks did not pay any tax in the UK. Most of the big internet companies are registered in places like Luxembourg.

Anyone who gets a revenue stream from official hotels should fear the likes of airbnb and couchsurfing because it will take away a percentage of the profits.

Couchsurfing is like airbnb but nobody pays anything.

Go compare:

You stay at a nice hotel in Granada and pay maybe 80 euros per night.

You visit the Alhambra it is OK but you only speak to other tourists and it is all fairly lame.

You get a couchsurfing profile and stay in Granada for free, you meet lots of interesting people, get taken to all the places the locals go to and have lots of crazy experiences.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
reviews: 9
5. Re: airbnb

"It's not true about there being no back up. " No there is not I have been on the end of their poor service.

I work in the trade, I read article written for the trade.

Here are just a FEW ;-) examples of this websites poor on line reputation.

http://bit.ly/WJEajU

http://b.qr.ae/15djmV3

http://wny.cc/12hliMB

http://nyti.ms/Ug25Ho

As a professional I would never list on either of this site either. But me personally would never (EVER) use airbnb to find my accomodation. Just like I would never use Craigslist.

Boston...
reviews: 1
6. Re: airbnb

I had a very bad experience with Airbnb in NYC/Brooklyn and will never use them again. Catfish host. Apathetic, horrible Airbnb customer service.

Sydney, Australia
7. Re: airbnb

After I used Airbnb the host of the apartment at 3 Grantham St, Sydney made a false claim for damage so they could take my deposit.

Airbnb supported the false claim without any evidence that I caused any damage.

They told me they have a host guarantee to protect the host, but not the equivalent to protect the guest. I gave evidence to show that the host was lying, Airbnb didn't consider this, they completely supported whatever the host said, which ended up in me losing my deposit for no reason.

Finally I gave a "thumbs down" review of my stay on the Airbnb site which was honest and not even that critical, but Airbnb removed it because they said I wasn't allowed to comment on the dispute of the deposit.

So obviously I wouldn't use Airbnb again, if anyone does I would recommend they only do it if they really trust the host and they hope not to have to deal with Airbnb if there's a problem.

Ridgewood,NJ
reviews: 48
8. Re: airbnb

I used airbnb in Paris and had a fantastic experience. Initial host cancelled on me two weeks before trip and airbnb found me a new apartment and reimbursed me for the inconvenience . I found them extremely helpful.

Regina, Canada
9. Re: airbnb

Since my original post I have used airbnb and found it to be a very good experience. I would consider using it again.

Boston...
10. Re: airbnb

Tara,

I am very glad you said that! I used airbnb in Amsterdam, Prague, NYC and my experience was always great.

Yuliya.

Reply to: airbnb
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted