We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alhambra - help needed!

Which Granada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 28
Alhambra - help needed!

Hello all,

I'm kind of overwhelmed with all the info I got on Alhambra. We're driving from Benalmadena next weekend and planning to start 8-ish and reach 10-ish.

1. Planning to get tickets for 1230 entrance to Nasrid Palaces. Would this be sufficient time to do Alcazaba and Generalife before Nasrid?

2. Is 1.5 - 2 hours too tight for covering Alcazaba and Generalife? We are hoping to avoid backtracking. Is there something else along the way that we should not miss?

3. Is the Parador considered to be inside Alhambra? If we get hungry, we might break for lunch at Parador and go back to do the non-ticketed areas in Alhambra. Hope Parador offers vegetarian menu as well (based on info from parador.es). While on the topic, does any one remember seeing any vegetarian sandwich options in the vending machines (as a back up)?

I apologise for so many questions. We are making a long trip just to see the Alhambra with two children around 5 years. I want to gather as much details as possible so that we can have a good visit.

Thanks!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid
reviews: 2,274
1. Re: Alhambra - help needed!

sukri:

The Alcazaba will take only half an hour to see it. The Generalife will take at least an hour to see it thoroughly.

The Parador is inside the Alhambra and close to the Carlos V Palace, which has the museum. This area is not ticketed. I am sure you can find a vegetable salad there to eat.

There is the beautiful Church of Santa Maria beside the Carlos V Palace that many people miss.

London, United...
2. Re: Alhambra - help needed!

Thanks, Benny, for your very quick reply.

I have one more question. Since we are driving, am wondering which entrance to use based on the access map here...

alhambra-patronato.es/fileadmin/contenidos/f…

The website says access is through Ronda Sur, but I can't find that in the map above!

Thanks,

Sukri

Granada, Spain
3. Re: Alhambra - help needed!

The Ronda Sur is Granada's southern ring road, also referred to as the A395. Once you get onto that road, follow the signs to the Alhambra, which will take you to the car parks marked on the map that you linked to. They are above the main entrance to the Alhambra, which is where you go into the Generalife/gardens. The entrance to the Alcazaba and Nasrid palaces are further away from the car parks, so going to the Generalife first minimises backtracking. You can come out of the Generalife/gardens by the Parador, which is also pretty close to the entrance to the other ticketed areas.

Granada, Spain
4. Re: Alhambra - help needed!

This is a better map of the Alhambra, for getting a sense of the layout:

300puntos.info/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/3-…

London, United...
reviews: 189
5. Re: Alhambra - help needed!

As Trek says there will be signs to the Alhambra car parks which avoid going into Granada proper taking you round the southern ring road. I use Google Maps and for the Alhambra car parks you can insert :"Camino Viejo del Cementerio, 18009 Granada, Spain" as your destination and see the route.

This is a route from Benalmadena.without specifying any address.

http://goo.gl/maps/MGaW5

It could be quite chilly compared to the coast so wear something warm.

London, United...
6. Re: Alhambra - help needed!

Thanks Trek and Cadiz_lover. The directions and map sure help.

I re-looked my itinerary and am a tad bit concerned about completing all ticketed areas by 2.

Assuming we get there by 10:30, 15-30 mins to get to Generalife after picking up our tickets - 1 hr there; then about 20 minutes to Nasrid - That would be almost 1230. Enter Nasrid Palaces at 12:30. Spend about 2 hours - That's already 1430 and we wouldn't have visited Alcazaba.

The link about getting Alhambra tickets on the top-right here says that if Nasrid entry time slot is 1130 or later, you can actually enter other ticketed areas even after 2. Is this still valid? Then we could take a short break for lunch and then do Alcazaba and other non-ticketed areas. Any inputs appreciated.

Thanks,

Sukri

Amersfoort, The...
7. Re: Alhambra - help needed!

I have more or less the same question as Sukri but in my case for visiting the Nasrid Palaces at 1400....

is that wise? Can we enter the Alhambra grounds before that even if we have an afternoon ticket or can we enter the Alhambra grounds only after 1400 and then have to run to the Nasrid palaces and hope the que is not too long?

Thank you for your time!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
reviews: 39
8. Re: Alhambra - help needed!

WenMeij, with your 1400 timeslot for entry to Nasrid, you have 'afternoon' tickets. So Nasrid will be the first of the ticketed areas that you visit, and afterwards you can spend whatever time you wish visiting the other ticketed areas.

But before that - anytime at all in fact - you can enter via Justice Gate (no ticket needed) and explore all the non-ticketed areas of Alhambra - eg general 'circulation' areas, the few shops and Carlos V Museum; and even lunch in Parador. The queue for your Nasrid entry at 1400 will tend to form up at about 1345 (but there's no rush so long as you get to entrance door before 1429; though I personally wouldn't risk being that 'late')

9. Re: Alhambra - help needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 14, 2014