We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alhambra - AM or PM

Which Granada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 14
Alhambra - AM or PM

Good Morning

I'm planning a trip including 24 hours in Granada in May. I'll arrive on the morning Madrid train approx 1400 and leaving the following day at about the same time. I'm trying to figure whether to visit the Alhambra the afternoon I arrive which would give me from about 1530 til closing time (I need to check my bags in my hotel) or the following morning which gives me less time but I hear mornings are quieter? And better for photography? But means I'd be exploring the town the afternoon I arrive when shops are shut

All views welcome.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
reviews: 39
1. Re: Alhambra - AM or PM

Given your short timescale for the Granada visit, I'm assuming your main priority is to see the Alhambra. On that basis, here's an idea (it will cost a few euros more but give you flexibility) - visit Alhambra in both the pm and the am, but for different sections.

Whilst that may seem crazy, here's my thinking -

For the PM - purchase in advance a Gardens Only ticket. That will enable you, at leisure, to view everything except the Nasrid (the best part). It will take you a few hours but also enable you to get your bearings for the subsequent visit (saving time for the AM).

For the AM - purchase well in advance the Full ticket including Nasrid - with an early entry time. Visit the Nasrid only (again 1-2 hours dependent on whether you did Partal Gardens in the PM) and then head back into town centre. 'Do' the town centre and get to your departure point at whatever time is necessary.

I've never seen the Alhambra quiet, and I've been in May and in mornings. It photographs well at all times of day and evening; marginally better very early am but not a showstopper difference.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid
reviews: 2,076
2. Re: Alhambra - AM or PM

GEJP:

I would go to the Alhambra first thing in the morning. Fewer people and more light. You can take better photos with fewer people around.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
reviews: 181
3. Re: Alhambra - AM or PM

On the night of your arrival, go to the Mirador de San Nicolas. It's across the valley from the Alhambra, in the hills of Albaicin. Time your visit to coincide with sunset and illumination of the Alhambra. Have a drink or a full meal in one of the many restaurants while you enjoy the view.

virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Spain/Andal…

Check sunset in Granada here:

timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html…

4. Re: Alhambra - AM or PM

Thanks for the help. In the end I've managed to get the rest of the day in Granada by binning a trip to Gibraltar the following day and heading straight to Tarifa via Algeciras. So I'll have a day and a half and leave on the morning train to Algeciras on Day 3

My thinking now is,

Afternoon I arrive : Mirador de San Nicolas, and exploring the city

Following Day : Find a cafe for breakfast (any recommendations?), book a ticket in advance for Alhambra, aiming to get a slot at the Nasrid Palace in mid morning and exploring the rest until I'd guess early afternoon, and then.....I'm not sure

I think in the end this works better, Gibraltar was 1 stop too many.

Granada, Spain
5. Re: Alhambra - AM or PM

Just for your info: shops are generally open until 8-9pm (depending on the time of year), with some closing during mid-afternoon (normally 2-5pm, if they close). Bigger shops, like El Corte Ingles, Zara, etc., as well as most tourist/souvenir shops, stay open all day. Many smaller shops are also open all day, but it varies from shop to shop.

6. Re: Alhambra - AM or PM

Thanks thats help to know, in the UK you are lucky if the shops open past 5. Looking at the sunset times it should be light until about 9 so it should be good for that too.

In general, what time do places start serving evening meals?

Coming from the UK where typically you would eat out at about 7, would you be able to find anyway serving at say 8pm? Or is it 9/9:30 before they start?

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
reviews: 22
7. Re: Alhambra - AM or PM

you can get tapas (and when in Granada it's a VERY good thing to get tapas) from 6-7pm until midnight or so. Move around from one bar to the next, eat 1 tapa and drink in each bar, city center (around Cathedral) is full of them

Nottingham, United...
reviews: 118
8. Re: Alhambra - AM or PM

I am just back from a great few days in Granada. I think you we're right to ditch the Gibraltar trip, I didn't like it at all. Very English!

So, re Granada-for breakfast I found a great place called La Cueva- breakfast for a few euros. They also do a nice tapas of jamon.

I also found a nice bar with a menu del dia for lunch or dinner called la Bodega de gran Via. On the main Gran Via. Menu del dia was only €8

All home made by a nice girl called Mar.

Calle nave is full of tapas bars.

Nice shopping area in Granada!

Enjoy your trip!

9. Re: Alhambra - AM or PM

Excellent, thanks for the recommedations.

I know its a long shot, but is anywhere likely to be open for breakfast/cafe really early at about 6am or a bakery to grab something to eat on the move? My train is at 6:50 so it would be earlier than the hotel serves breakfast

10. Re: Alhambra - AM or PM

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 03, 2014