We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Use of tripods and other photography questions

Which Granada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
reviews: 30
Use of tripods and other photography questions

I will be visiting Grenada during the first few days of May and plan to buy tickets for several visits to the Alhambra - 2 nights so that I can see both the place and gardens and also a day pass.

Getting some special photos of places within the Alhambra is high on my wish list. I love photos of the detail in things, rather than the bigger picture, so I can't wait to see the Alhambra, it has been on my wishlist for a long time.

I know that flash is not allowed (and I wouldn't use it even if it was ok) but can you tell me if a tripod is allowed. Is there anything else you think may be helpful to know with regard to taking photos?

If anyone reading this has a special interest in photography and has hints or tips to share of specific locations or items that are not so commonly photographed, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks, Denise

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid
reviews: 2,335
1. Re: Use of tripods and other photography questions

Denise:

I think you should call the Alhambra for tripod photography:

www.alhambra.org/eng/index.asp…

Please let us know their answer. That would help others who want to do that too.

BARCELONA.SPAIN
reviews: 18
2. Re: Use of tripods and other photography questions

Denise,

No tripod allowed inside the Alhambra (at least last May when I was there last time)

However in most places the light is quite good to be able to get some good shots

Hope to have helped

Jose

BARCELONA.SPAIN
reviews: 18
3. Re: Use of tripods and other photography questions

It was meant:

Inside the Nazaries Palace

Australia
4. Re: Use of tripods and other photography questions

Thanks for reply to date.

Hopefully that means I may be able to get some night shots outside. I have emailed using the contact provided by Benny and will post back when I get an answer

Denise

Granada, Spain
5. Re: Use of tripods and other photography questions

There won't be any problem using a tripod in the parts of the Alhambra that don't require a ticket, which includes an area with great views of the Albaicin. However, that doesn't help you with getting photos of decorative details inside the Nasrid palaces, where it appears that tripods are not allowed.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
reviews: 193
6. Re: Use of tripods and other photography questions

The regulations as stated on the official Alhambra web site clearly say :

"To photograph without a trípod and flash, except when being authorized."

You can read up all about the regulations etc on the official web site. http://www.alhambra-patronato.es

I can understand that tripods are not allowed becasue of the volume of visitors and the potential for disruption to the free flow. The visiting 30 minutes entrance slot helps to regulate the flow and tries to ensure that you can see the Alhambra in comfort but there will always be "pinch points" such as the Court of the Lions.

Maybe there are other methods that can be sued to steady the camera whilst not being an actual tripod. I saw once a keen night photographer who had a string or cord attached to the camera base and other end under his foot on the ground and his two hands effectively formed the other 2 "legs" and helped him steady the camera . Not sure if that works but worth experimenting with !

Edited: 5:19 am, January 23, 2013
Australia
7. Re: Use of tripods and other photography questions

Hi all

Thanks for taking interest in this post. I can live without a tripod, but there are sometimes where, if you know you can use one, it is so much better, especially for night time.

Cadiz _lover there is a gadget called a Steadepod (which I have) and it is probably what you have seen. Here is a link for anyone interested in knowing more http://www.steadepod.com They don't take the place of a tripod if you want a long exposure but do help when shutter-speeds are on the slow side.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid
reviews: 2,335
8. Re: Use of tripods and other photography questions

I always bring an extra battery now after running out of power last year in Lisbon. The Alhambra is so very beautiful that you will want to photograph everything.

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 7
9. Re: Use of tripods and other photography questions

you might consider a monopod. It is light and collapses down to a size no longer than a small umbrella, so easily carried in a purse or bag - the downside is that the camera is locked into a horizontal position. Very helpful for long exposure shots.

10. Re: Use of tripods and other photography questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 19, 2014