We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch before Alhambra Visit

Which Granada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC
reviews: 22
Lunch before Alhambra Visit

We (a group of 7, including children ages 6, 10 and 12) are visiting in mid-February and have 4 pm Nasrid entry tickets. For lunch, I'm thinking of trying the Parador, either the snack area or the restaurant. Or getting sandwiches and drinks in the Alhambra grounds. Has anyone done either and what do you suggest?

Shanghai, China
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
reviews: 193
1. Re: Lunch before Alhambra Visit

MMMdc,

I visited during the summer of 2012 with my teenage son. Food options up on the Alhambra are not great. The Parador really is your best bet. Inside, you'll find a casual lounge where snacks (tapas, sandwiches, ice cream, dessert, drinks) are served. These are very tasty and reasonably priced, considering you're in an upscale hotel.

The restaurant is just in front of the lounge and it offers a wonderful Menu del Dia (set lunch or dinner). Dinner was 34 euros and we sat outdoors in the garden, facing the Generalife Gardens. Granada is not a cheap place to eat; I guess they get a lot of tourist business. Across the valley in the restaurants of the Albaicin, we had a similar meal for 75 euros!

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187441-d276…

In the visitors' centres, there are vending machines with sandwiches and drinks. It is ... vending machine food, lol.

In the little gift shops, they sell a few snacks but nothing too substantial.

The other option is eating in the patio of Hotel America. It's a cute hotel next to the Parador. DO NOT EAT HERE. It looks quaint and you think it'll be cheaper than the Parador. It's a huge rip-off. I stayed here one night and had to pay 8 euros for b'fast the next morning. I should have taken a picture of the food. It was so outrageously bad.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187441-d236…

If you have time to ride the Segway in Albaicin, do it! It's a great way to see the area and a lot of fun too.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187441-d202…

Edited: 2:11 pm, January 18, 2013
Washington, DC
2. Re: Lunch before Alhambra Visit

Wow, thanks for the great information. The Parador definitely seems like the best option.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
reviews: 39
3. Re: Lunch before Alhambra Visit

Parador downstairs snack area is great; done that three times now (almost a hidden secret for people in the know; most visitors think they cannot go in the Parador); enter via door/archway to left hand side as you approach Parador and go down the stairs.

But I've only done it in hot weather when the wonderfully scenic external terrace was in use; could be cold there in Feb. Slow service but great to do it.

I'm assuming you're aware that with your Nasrid entry of 4pm, you should start visiting all the other ticketed areas soon after 2pm ie go in for your slow-service snack at about 1245-1300.

Washington, DC
4. Re: Lunch before Alhambra Visit

Yes, I do realize that, and thank you for the heads up.

Las Vegas
reviews: 47
5. Re: Lunch before Alhambra Visit

Yes, definitely have lunch at the Parador. The outdoor patio of the restaurant is beautiful with views all the way to the Generalife, and St. Nicholas Mirador, across the way. Unforgettable (and the food was good too). Perhaps chilly in Feb. though! But you can also wander a bit around the Parador, it's a beautiful building too.

Washington, DC
6. Re: Lunch before Alhambra Visit

Thanks. I think we'll go for it!

7. Re: Lunch before Alhambra Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 07, 2014