We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2013 Corpus Christi in Granada

Which Granada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, OR, USA
reviews: 69
2013 Corpus Christi in Granada

Does anyone know the exact dates of the Corpus Christi festival in Granada in 2013, and what happens on what dates? The information I can find (lots of Google searches) is unclear. Thanks!

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
reviews: 23
1. Re: 2013 Corpus Christi in Granada

May 30th, just one day

more here: www.andalucia.com/festival/corpuschristi.htm

Granada, Spain
2. Re: 2013 Corpus Christi in Granada

The week of Corpus is the Granada feria, and although Corpus itself is just one day, there are various things happening all week. Basically, there is a special area (the "recinto ferieval") on the edge of town where there is a funfair and lots of marquees selling food and drink. The marquees generally belong to organisations such as the local municipality, the province, political parties, sports clubs, etc., who pay a fee to hire their space. There are also some private marquees that are only open to members of the organisation/association in question.

There are also various things that happen in the city centre during the week of the feria.

See the Junta de Andalucia's website for more info (Spanish):

andalucia.org/feria-del-corpus-de-granada/

Portland, OR, USA
3. Re: 2013 Corpus Christi in Granada

Thanks to you and myscreen123 for helpful answers.

We are currently booked to be in Granada Thursday, May 30 and Friday, May 31. Those dates had nothing to do with the Corpus Christi festival -- they just happened to be the dates that worked best in an overall driving tour that starts in Malaga. In starting to make specific plans for visiting Granada, I stumbled onto the fact that we're going to be there during the festival. Based on what I'm looking at, I still can't really tell what will be happening on May 30 - 31, specifically. The sites talk about a major fireworks display the following Sunday, and they talk about processions, but I don't see any references to specific dates. We had of course planned to visit the Alhambra, but it looks like Granada may be more packed with tourists than usual while we are there?

Granada, Spain
4. Re: 2013 Corpus Christi in Granada

I wouldn't worry too much - because the feria mainly takes place out of the centre, the fact that there are some extra people in Granada is partially offset by the fact that some people who would normally be in the centre are at the feria. It's mainly a relatively local festival, so you don't get tens of thousands of people coming from all over Spain as you do for the Seville feria.

On the Wednesday (29th, I think) there is a procession that is worth seeing (the Tarasca), but that is also when the centre of Granada is most clogged up.

There will be a programme of events in due course, but I don't think it's been published yet, and I'm not sure whether they do an English version. There's a bit of music and dance in the city centre, some activities for kids, some special exhibitions, etc. Then fireworks, as you said, on Sunday.

I wouldn't let it affect my planning too much. You won't have any problem visiting the Alhambra, but book early - May is always high season in Granada, and Corpus adds a bit to that. It's probably a good idea to book accommodation reasonably early as well.

Portland, OR, USA
5. Re: 2013 Corpus Christi in Granada

Thank you very much. This is a very helpful answer.

6. Re: 2013 Corpus Christi in Granada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 pm, December 17, 2013