We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charm/Atmosphere: Alhambra Palace or Palacio de Santa Paula

Which Granada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
reviews: 1
Charm/Atmosphere: Alhambra Palace or Palacio de Santa Paula

Hi,

We are staying at the Ritz Madrid prior to Granada and would like a something more symbolic of Granada.

Really looking for a hotel with charm and is in line with the atmosphere of Granada and the Alhambra. Having a tough time deciding between the Alhambra Palace or Palacio de Santa Paula. Both look great but some have commented that the Alhambra Palace is a bit gaudy even thought the location is great.

I'd appreciate any feedback

Jerez de la Frontera
Destination Expert
for Fes
reviews: 6
1. Re: Charm/Atmosphere: Alhambra Palace or Palacio de Santa Paula

I agree with the sentiment regarding the Alhambra Palace. The Santa Paula is an excellent choice and you won't be disappointed with the interiors, if you can stay in the Obispo Suite!

Jerez de la Frontera
Destination Expert
for Fes
reviews: 6
2. Re: Charm/Atmosphere: Alhambra Palace or Palacio de Santa Paula

I agree with the sentiment about the Alhambra Palace. The Santa Paula is an excellent choice and you won't be disappointed with the interiors. If you can, stay in the Obispo Suite!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia
reviews: 2,419
3. Re: Charm/Atmosphere: Alhambra Palace or Palacio de Santa Paula

Jeremiah:

The view from the restaurant of the Alhambra Palace has the most fantastic view of the city.

Granada, Spain
reviews: 213
4. Re: Charm/Atmosphere: Alhambra Palace or Palacio de Santa Paula

The hotel santa paula has five stars and is at the heart of the city, has two types of rooms, standard, not much different from those of any business hotel. By contrast, junior suites and suites bishop's certainly worth staying at this hotel. As a bonus has a small fitness room and a Turkish bath is next to the cathedral in the heart of the city. the micro bus that takes you to the Alhambra is right on the door, like the bus coming from the airport or coming from the bus or train station (no. 3 to 33)

The Alhambra palace is a hotel opened by King Alfonso XIII in 1909, years before it would open the Ritz in Madrid. The hotel service is excellent and he has seen all kinds of personalities and celebrities. Ask for a room overlooking Granada. The hotel recreates the art of decoration nazaries palaces. Its location is 15 minutes walk from downtown, but is located on top of a hill near the Alhambra. For me this is a very special hotel because it held my wedding and I spent my wedding night.

Both are recommended, but appreciates what each one according to your interests.

Los Angeles
5. Re: Charm/Atmosphere: Alhambra Palace or Palacio de Santa Paula

Everyone input is extraordinary helpful. What a tough decision. Thank you so much. I think I am obsessing. :)

Granada, Spain
reviews: 213
6. Re: Charm/Atmosphere: Alhambra Palace or Palacio de Santa Paula

Tradition, service and good views. Alhambra Palace.

Mixture of ancient and modern, centrally located. Palacio Santa Paula.

Pittsburgh...
reviews: 12
7. Re: Charm/Atmosphere: Alhambra Palace or Palacio de Santa Paula

I stayed at the Alhambra Palace this past September and don't think you'd go wrong there. The public rooms are certainly decorated in a lavish neo-Moorish style, but but aren't what I'd refer to as gaudy. I find the decor to be fitting given the long Moorish history of this city. Although the public spaces are ornate, the rooms are comfortably traditional in style.

The hotel is within easy walking distance of the Alhambra. Both a bus stop and a taxi stand are located directly across the street so it's extremely easy to reach anywhere in the city. Service was great and the views incredible. The restaurant and bar overlook the city, and the night time views are amazing. All of the rooms have a small balcony that overlooks either the city or the Alhambra. There are, however, two rooms which have a huge, private patio overlooking the Alhambra. To be lucky enough to stay in one of those rooms, and sit on your patio at night viewing the flood-lit Alhambra without any crowds, is truly a magical experience that I'll never forget!

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 16
8. Re: Charm/Atmosphere: Alhambra Palace or Palacio de Santa Paula

The Alambra Palace is nice, and historic, we always stop in for one of their slightly overpriced drinks when in Granada because it has some charm, but it doesn't really compare with the AC Palacio de Santa Paula if you are staying in one of the suites.

If you want to stay up at the Alhambra, then you need to check out the suite at the Parador. The only reason the Parador is on a 4-star hotel is that the elevator does not reach the top floor, where the suite is located.

Los Angeles
9. Re: Charm/Atmosphere: Alhambra Palace or Palacio de Santa Paula

In terms of the comparison what aspects do you feel are subpar to the AC de Palacio? Does he contain the same level of charm/atmosphere which is really important to us?

Really want the best bang for my money.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 16
10. Re: Charm/Atmosphere: Alhambra Palace or Palacio de Santa Paula

Getting the "best bang for your money" will depend on exactly you're interested in, as these two hotels are in completely different classes.

The Alhambra Palace hotel certainly has its (old world) charm, but to me it's a bit dated, somewhere where I'd expect to see Ava Gradner or Boggy hanging out in the lounge sipping cocktails. It's considered a unique luxury property and the same people who often stay at the Ritz in Madrid, usually stay here. The views of the Sierra Nevada and south over the city are hard to beat. It's popular for weddings and banquets, so it can be busy on weekends.

The AC Palacio de Santa Paula is a top luxury business-class hotel, a 5-star Gran Lux (and should be part of the AC by Marriott program after the first of the year) with excellent service, but the atmosphere is completely different from what you'd find at the Alhambra Palace. It's a lot more upscale and modern, but very comfortable. The AC Suite is large and the beds are some of the most comfortable you'll find. Superior rooms are not bad. It also has an excellent restaurant, "El Claustro", one of the best in Granada.