We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to travel to Granada from Barcelona May 2011

Which Granada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, Ohio
reviews: 35
Best way to travel to Granada from Barcelona May 2011

Will travel by cruise ship to Barcelona May 2011 and after spending a few days there, would like to go to Granada to see the sights there. What would be the best way to get there?Would enjoy spending a day or 2 in a small village on the coast either on the way there or on the way back to Barcelona. Will probably need to return to Barcelona to fly back to USA.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 16
1. Re: Best way to travel to Granada from Barcelona May 2011

The easiest way to get from Barcelona to Granada would be to fly.

South Australia
reviews: 12
2. Re: Best way to travel to Granada from Barcelona May 2011

Flights Barcelona to Granada www.vueling.com

www.andalucia.com

London, United...
reviews: 188
3. Re: Best way to travel to Granada from Barcelona May 2011

You appear to be suggesting that you may be thinking of driving ? It is a long way and the coastal highway is not particularly wonderful so my feeling is that you would be best to go direct to Granada.

However don't overlook the nice trains especially the fast AVE train that is comfortable and especially in Preferente Class or even Club class offers you something different. Spain has spent a lot of money on improving these fast rail routes and they are a good alternative to flying sometimes. Having said this, the fast AVE service down to Andalucia goes to Cordoba and Seville but not yet to Granada. Later. But if you plan to visit Cordoba or Seville then you can take one of the AVE trains from Barcelona Sants station and be in Cordoba between 4 1/2 and 5 hours. Also if you can book your tickets online (follow the guidance on how to book RENFE tickets on Trip Advisor -see right column) then you can save money and bag a bargain. I would be very tempted to go Club class for the extras if the fare was discounted !!

In May there are various Spring Ferias going on in Andalucia and depending on your dates of travel it may be worth while looking into this.

For an example, you can find the annual Horse Fair in Jerez during the 2nd week of May. Flights available from Barcelona direct. www.turismojerez.com/index.php?id=2468&L=1

Granada, Spain
reviews: 197
4. Re: Best way to travel to Granada from Barcelona May 2011

I recommend you catch a plane from Barcelona, because the train is very slow.The airlines flying to Barcelona are "Spanair" and "Vueling".

Spain
reviews: 2
5. Re: Best way to travel to Granada from Barcelona May 2011

If you're still considering driving with a stopover at a village on the way then I'd suggest Albarracín. Its a little way in land in the mountains but its not far out of your way. The town is realy picturesque and theres plenty of walking routes in the area to keep you busy (the tourist information office gives out a couple of differnt maps). Driving in the area is beautiful and although it takes longer you could work out a scenic inland route to avoid backtracking to the coast.

more info about Albarracín here:

www.visit-medieval-spain.com/aragon.html

Driving direct BCN Granada via the coastal motorway will take about 8 - 9 hours. And in my opinion isn't an unpleasent drive . If you decide to go via Albarracin then you will be adding another couple of hours to the trip. Also, its about midway on your route so it breaks up the journey nicely.

Edited: 3:28 am, October 27, 2010
Queens, NY
reviews: 1
6. Re: Best way to travel to Granada from Barcelona May 2011

I just bought tickets on Spanair. For my dates, they were a little cheaper than Vueling, and they include a checked bag. Other folks on this board advised me to just pick whichever is less expensive of Spanair and Vueling; both fly the route twice a day, and it only takes an hour.

As an American my mind was blown by how cheap the fares were. I paid 23 euros each way, plus tax. That was something like 1/5 of the train fare.

New York City, New...
reviews: 1
7. Re: Best way to travel to Granada from Barcelona May 2011

This thread was super helpful!

I will be traveling from Granada to Barcelona on May 27th (one way ) this is what I found:

Granada to Barcelona by Vueling flight 39 Euros (tax incl) 1hr 20 minutes

by Spanair (no flex to change option) 37 Euros (tax incl) 1hr 20 minutes

by Trenhotel 64 Euros 12 hrs overnight (no way!)

by Spainair (with flex to change reservation) 47 Euros (tax incl) 1 hr 20 minutes

I will be taking the Spanair option!

Lahore, Pakistan
8. Re: Best way to travel to Granada from Barcelona May 2011

My husband and I will be traveling to Spain in April. We want to go to Granada from Barcelona, and then from Granada to Madrid. What would be the cheapest and the best option? By train or by air? Where can i book my tickets?

South Australia
9. Re: Best way to travel to Granada from Barcelona May 2011

Book your flight direct with the airlines, we always fly www.vueling.com Bottom left of the Vueling page is english translation. You can check train fares to Madrid www.renfe.es and the bus www.alsa.es

Accommodation www.venere.com

www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com

www.andalucia.com/cities/granada.htm

www.madrid-tourist-guide.com

London England
Destination Expert
for Granada
reviews: 2
10. Re: Best way to travel to Granada from Barcelona May 2011

It's a really long way by car.

884 km (about 8 hours 30 mins)

Look at map.

crazycalculations.com/directions/index.php…