We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Alhambra Palace

Which Granada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
reviews: 30
Hotel Alhambra Palace

Hi. I booked two nights at the Hotel Alhambra Palace and am wondering if I should be concerned about the neighborhood in the evening. Also, is it possible to take a bus from the train station to this hotel or do I need a taxi? Thank you.

London England
Destination Expert
for Granada
reviews: 3
1. Re: Hotel Alhambra Palace

Why would you be concerned about security?

Why would it be worse in the evening?

As your name is brooklyn maybe that means that you live in Brooklyn.

If you click on this link you can see the crimes commited in Brooklyn recently

http://spotcrime.com/ny/brooklyn

1 day's crime in Brookyln probably represents about 5 years in Granada.

I would say that Brooklyn would recieve more crime in one day than the entire previous century in the area around the Alhambra Palace hotel.

(not including the civil war 1935-39)

Even the worst area in Granada which is the north end of Almanjayar has nothing like the crime rate of Brooklyn.

You can get a 3 or 33 bus to the cathedral then get on a 32 which goes up past the Alhambra Palace.

A taxi would cost about 7 euros.

Actually the most likely crime that will happen to you in Granada is being overcharged by a taxi driver.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia
reviews: 2,431
2. Re: Hotel Alhambra Palace

The views from the hotel are the best in Granada. I would love to stay in this hotel.

granada
reviews: 1
3. Re: Hotel Alhambra Palace

I wouldn't worry too much about safety in that part of the city

granadachef

granada
4. Re: Hotel Alhambra Palace

I wouldn't worry about safety in that part of the city too much. granadachef.

Oswestry, United...
reviews: 2
5. Re: Hotel Alhambra Palace

brooklynmomma,

Why and where did you get the negatitivity? I doubt you can direct me to anything that suggests there is something wrong with this neighbourhood.

Steven #1is correct with transport.

granada
6. Re: Hotel Alhambra Palace

I wouldn't worry too much about safety in that part of the city

granadachef

Houston
reviews: 4
7. Re: Hotel Alhambra Palace

My daughters & I stayed at the Alhambra Palace Hotel last month. I loved it! It is located just beyond the entrance to the Alhambra atop the hill and overlooks the city. Unbelievable views from the windows of our rooms; we could see snow crowned mountains, the cathedral and Plaza Nueva. The hotel is not in the city, but above it. On our walk from the hotel to the Alhambra ticket entrance, we passed 2 restaurants - I think these were the only commercial places. I doubt you will be walking about the hotel at night simply because there isn't anything up there that I recall.

There is a taxi stand just outside the hotel entrance and a bus stop also. We took a cab to/from Pz. Nueva - less than €5.

Safety isn't an issue. You will be so pleased with this beautiful and charming hotel! The staff were very kind and helpfull.

Baltimore, Maryland
reviews: 16
8. Re: Hotel Alhambra Palace

The original poster only asked if there is a security problem in that area. She didn't say there was one. Why is everyone so sensitive about a simple question? Is there something for you to hide about that neighborhood by being so aggressive over a simple question?

All anyone had to do was say "There's no security problem in that area."

London England
Destination Expert
for Granada
reviews: 3
9. Re: Hotel Alhambra Palace

I can't see any hint of agression in any of the comments.

There is a much better system in the USA where it seems that the police publish crime information. I have been on websites based in the USA where you can see a photo of all the people who have been arrested at the local police station.

In Spain I don't think it is possible for the public to have access to the crime stats. If anyome does know if the crime stats are available let us know.

The problem with this is that anyone's perception of how dangerous a place is is just based on impressions not facts.

I would say that Granada is not a very dangerous place and much safer than a UK city or an American city.

You must also take note of who you are talking to when asking about security.

There is an information desk at the bus station which looks like it is an official information desk.

The information desk has commission agreements with certain hotels so if you go there and ask about a hotel which is not on their books they tell you that the place you are thinking of going is dangerous so you will book their hotels.

The hotels in Granada tell you that the Sacromonte is dangerous so that you have to spend 25 euros on a bus to go and see a flamenco show.

I remember a few years ago an American tourist got killed in the Alhambra because he had stepped backwards and had fallen through a window while taking a photo. Just imagine how awful that was for his poor wife. The Alhambra was closed for several days while they improved the safety.

Now I am waffling.

To conclude:

Granada is not very dangerous.

Don't believe everything you are told.

Sometimes **** happens.

Northampton, MA
reviews: 31
10. Re: Hotel Alhambra Palace

The only concern is that you are staying above the city and you have a 20 min. walk downhill to get access to good tapas, bars, restaurants etc. They say there are ghosts in the area but I don't know. Still it's a magical place, right next to the Alhambra.