We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Granada

Which Granada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Visiting Granada

I am planning a 10-day trip to Spain using mostly guidebooks as my sources of information. I am uncertain whether to include granada as part of my trip. My guidebooks offer conflicting information...one says three hours, the other multiple days.

If I do see Granada, I am uncertain how long to stay.

Granada would take the place of Segovia/Avila. I am considering travelling to:

Madrid

Segovia

Avila

Seville

Cordoba

Toledo

UK
reviews: 10
1. Re: Visiting Granada

Definitely visit Granada, it is fascinating & whoever recommends 3 hours deserves to be shot!!! At least stay overnight, the Alhambra alone will take you 1/2 a day & the rest of the town is beautiful.

You could do all these places if you want to. A suggested itinerary is:

5 days in Madrid with day trips to Toledo, Avila & El Escorial, info on a previous post here - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187514-i126-k1017…

Then take the AVE to Sevilla, stopping at Cordoba on the way, no need to stay overnight, (there are luggage lockers at Cordoba station) & have 2-3 days there. Then take the bus or train to Granada for a day or two before heading back to Madrid by bus, train or plane.

Chula Vista...
reviews: 18
2. Re: Visiting Granada

On a ten-day trip to Spain you could visit most of the places you mentioned PLUS Granada (which would be a crime to miss) by following this itinerary:

Madrid: three nights with a day trip to either Segovia OR Avila. My preference would be Avila. Which ever you choose, take the train. It is a more pleasant ride and faster than the bus as there is a lot of traffic getting in and out of Madrid and the highway through the mountains has a lot of curves. Spend at least a full day seeing Madrid.

From Madrid take the AVE (bullet train) early in the morning to Cordoba (two hours). Visit the Mesquita, walk around the old Jewish Quarter, have lunch, and continue on the train to Seville (about 40 minutes).

Spend two nights in Seville--visit the cathedral with its tower (La Giralda, which is what remains of a former mosque), the Barrio Santa Cruz, and María Luisa Park.

Take a bus in the morning from Seville to Granada--much faster as the train route is not direct and takes "forever".

I cannot imagine anyone going to Spain without visiting Granada! You will not be sorry if you spend three nights (two full days) there. (The person who said "three hours" didn't know what he/she was talking about). The Alhambra itself takes more than half a day to see. Call ahead to your hotel and ask them to get reservations for you otherwise you might be disappointed. They will charge a small fee for this service but it is a waste of time to go there yourself to get the tickets as you most certainly would have to wait at least several hours until you could get in, if not until the next day. The Royal Chapel next to the cathedral has the tombs of Queen Isabel and King Fernando plus their daughter "Juana la Loca" and her husband Felipe ("El Hermoso"). Plaza Bibarrambla is a lively square where the Inquisition once burned "heretics" at the stake. It's nicer now having "chocolate y churros" outside in the square in the morning (or late afternoon) and watching the people. Be sure to explore the Albaicín, the old Moorish Quarter. Go to the Mirador de San Nicolás (in the Albaicín) for the view of the Alhambra across the canyon and continue to La Plaza de San Miguel Bajo to eat at one of the outside restaurants there. (My favorite is El Yunque). From the Plaza de San Miguel Bajo, walk down Cuesta de San José to Calle de la Calderería and you will find yourself in an Arab market. At night there is Sacromonte and the cafés and flamenco shows in the caves, but be carefuly there. An excellent website for Granada is www.vivagranada.com.

The bus is the cheapest way to get from Granada to Madrid. They run frequently and take fewer than five hours with a half-hour stop in between. There are, at most, three trains a day from Granada to Madrid; they take about the same time as the buses but are more than twice as expensive.

Return to Madrid for two nights and spend a full day in Madrid. There is plenty to see there.

Lake Vinuela...
reviews: 22
3. Re: Visiting Granada

Granada is a must - at least an overnight stay, or better still 2 nights, required to see the city properly. Sugest you pre-book tickets for the Alhambra on-line before leaving home so you know your reservation/time is confirmed.

As siad by previous posters, you COULD do everywhere you suggest on your itinerary in 10 days. However, in my opinion, it is city overkill and, with all the travelling, a very tiring plan. Would personally suggest you cut it by half and spend 3 nights in each destination you decide on.

Little Cayman
reviews: 4
4. Re: Visiting Granada

I would also say, don't miss Granada. It's worth 2-3 days to explore properly. The Alhambra is a must. You can always do Toledo as a day trip from Madrid--I would not stay overnight there. Segovia/Avila, too, can be combined with visiting the general Madrid area.

In Granada, visit the Alhambra, explore the Albaycin, and visit the downtown historic area. Definately go to Sacromonte for flamenco and exploring the cave village/museum.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
reviews: 18
5. Re: Visiting Granada

What's the guidebook that recommends 3 hour? Around the World in a week? I'd get rid of that one if the standard of recommendation is like that. I'd be a little offended if my home town was only considered worth 180 minutes.

Granada is a charming city that deserves more than a day - as already said, you'll need at least half a day for the Alhambra alone - and the Alhambra features on so many lists of "100 places to see before you die".

Granada, Spain
reviews: 215
6. Re: Visiting Granada

You must stay 2 or 3 nighs in Granada, 2 or 3 days in Sevilla With excursions to Carmona. Cordoba 1 Day. Others beautifuls cities in Andalucia are Úbeda y Baeza at 1.30 hours to Granada in bus, Ronda 2 hours in train to Granada.

Montreal
reviews: 6
7. Re: Visiting Granada

Hi there,

Seems like everyone made it clear, you have to see Granada.

The city is also great for hiking, 15 min and you're on your own in a marvellous mountains setting. - bring lots of water -.

Personnally, I loved Sevilla. The old part of the city is small enough so that you get comfortable in a couple of days, relax and enjoy the food and drinks. Compared to it, I found Madrid to be a bit cold. Personnal opinion as I generally don't like very large cities. Prado is a must and the huge park close to it- I forget the name - is very nice to relax aferward.

If you intend to make Segovia or Avila an overnight stay, I would just cut it from the agenda. They're very nice town - I found Segovia to be the perfect place for a week end romantic getaway - but given time constraints, it's not worth the 1/2 spent travelling. I would spend that time exploring some other cities further and take the time to look around.

The AVE from Madrid to Sevilla is just plain marvelous. A stop to Cordoba on the way sounds erfect to me.

Enjoy.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
reviews: 1,118
8. Re: Visiting Granada

Definitely worth visiting but it will take more than three hours.

Montreal, Canada
reviews: 39
9. Re: Visiting Granada

yes I agree with everybody : Don't miss Alhambra - also, if you visit Alahmbra, may be do that after visit the Alcazar (Sevilla). The Alhambra is breathtaking and surprising! Fountain, water, flowers, everything, it's really the idea of a paradise!

(1/2 to one day visit should be allow only for the Alhambra) For myself the Alhambra visit worth our last trip in Spain... Really love it!

Also, the city is nice. An overnight stay should be enough.

Don't forget to walk in the old part of the City.

10. Re: Visiting Granada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:26 am, August 25, 2009