We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sewage on La Carihuela beach today

Which Torremolinos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Eire
reviews: 5
Sewage on La Carihuela beach today

We were on La Carihuela beach today enjoying the sunshine. We were swimming not too far from the shore and noticed a slick moving towards us from the Benalmadena direction. I thought first it was just some oil or petrol from a boat but to my horror it was raw sewage. We got out and showered as quickly as possible. I heard some people asking the life guard was it safe to swim but he just explained it away as oil from a boat. That, it definitely wasn't !

Has anyone ever experienced this before or has anyone heard of any damaged pipes in the area ?

I hope it was just a one off but I do think the lifeguard should have investigated further and advised people accordingly.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
reviews: 4
1. Re: Sewage on La Carihuela beach today

Never known this before, it sounds like someone being naughty along at Benalmádena Marina.

London, UK
reviews: 67
2. Re: Sewage on La Carihuela beach today

Almost certainly someone emptying the sewage tank on a boat illegally. Shocking behaviour really

Yorkshire
reviews: 21
3. Re: Sewage on La Carihuela beach today

Really? That is something I have never seen before and I have been going to this area for over ten years.

We usually go in early June and, a couple of years ago there was a red haze in the sea quite close to the shore, we were told this was algae? We flew out of Malaga on Saturday and once we were in the air, looking down there was a large area with a 'slick' of this reddish colour....covering quite a large area and quite far out; the person sat beside me said it was oil.. but I said we had been told it was algae, so, who knows what it is. Anyone any other ideas?

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
reviews: 1
4. Re: Sewage on La Carihuela beach today

Such things can happen for various reasons in the med. Along this strip I'd imagine it's from illegal dumping, the reaction/advice from the lifeguard is interesting.

Did or does this show up on the COWAMA system, or hasn't that worked out? I've never looked at the ibeach app. Seemed a good idea in theory.

Stoofer

camberley
reviews: 18
5. Re: Sewage on La Carihuela beach today

Ibeach have no water quality info at the moment but there are people surfing out there today so assume it's okay or they'd have soon come back in.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
reviews: 1
6. Re: Sewage on La Carihuela beach today

'Ibeach have no water quality info at the moment'

Is that recently or just today? I thought the system was designed to daily and continuously monitor water quality and provide information and analysis of any UFO's. Much was made of this last year, has the system just not worked out or is it a temporary glitch?

If you don't know, dhp, maybe someone else can give some information on this COWAMA system.

Stoofer

Woking, United...
reviews: 16
7. Re: Sewage on La Carihuela beach today

I doubt it Stoofer as this is essentially a travel website and a Destination specific Forum - Google might be able to help though.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
reviews: 213
8. Re: Sewage on La Carihuela beach today

There is a map showing the Blue Flag beaches on the Costa del Sol.

andalucia.org/en/…

Nearest one to Torremolinos seems to be several kms west at Artola / Cabo Pino:

andalucia.org/en/…

Arroyo de la Miel...
reviews: 59
9. Re: Sewage on La Carihuela beach today

idrometeo.es/views/… looks like money well spent !!!! NOT.

camberley
reviews: 18
10. Re: Sewage on La Carihuela beach today

Hi stoofer. It's had the same info since I downloaded the app earlier today. We've been on the beach most of the day and as far as I know there have not been any complaints and even now at 9.30pm there are still people swimming so I assume all okay