We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New seawater management system proves its worth

Which Torremolinos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
reviews: 4
New seawater management system proves its worth

The new system of daily water-quality measurements operated by Cowama on Torremolinos beaches has already proved its worth - SUR is reporting that rubbish that appeared in the sea off La Carihuela beach doesn't contain any dangerous matter and probably came from a boat. Even so, the Ayuntamiento has ordered a full investigation.

The system is designed to monitor continuously the water quality, and issue information in cases such as these. Whilst finding the rubbish in the water would be alarming for swimmers, at least those who did so can rest assured there was no health risk.

Visitors can get up-to-date information on a daily basis by using the iBeach app - a first for the Costa del Sol. Benalmádena are working towards joining the scheme for next year - but they'll have to stop people chucking rubbish off the boats first!

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
reviews: 52
1. Re: New seawater management system proves its worth

That's brilliant NSG! See what can be done with a bit of effort and commitment from the local authority. Others take note! (or is that too provacative a statement?)

Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
reviews: 24
2. Re: New seawater management system proves its worth

system great P R for the area, as you say hopefully any problems will be dealt with as soon as they arise.

I dont mind being provocative, cant see this system being adopted in the sewerage seas surrounding Nerja.

Hopefully will be able to swim in the sea of the carihuela in October, seeing the doctor the day before we go for final advise, barred at the moment.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
reviews: 52
3. Re: New seawater management system proves its worth

Hope you can Ian, mind you I'm not a sea swimmer at the best of times, a quick paddle then back to sitting at the beach bar watching it lap on the shore whilst I have a nice cold drink.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
reviews: 1
4. Re: New seawater management system proves its worth

Note, this addition is date 19/06/14.

A recent thread regarding a sewage slick sighting off La Carihuela has thrown some doubt on this system being updated for water quality monitoring. Information was sought on the sewage thread, the information posted was that the water quality info. setting appears to be the same this week as it was months ago. It seems currently unknown if it was changed on the day of the sewage report, the thread was closed before it received any more information.

Perhaps someone with detailed knowledge of this system and the ibeach app can offer some advice on the current status of this system, what benefits, what exactly does it monitor and update? Or is it just not working, period?

Stoofer

Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
reviews: 24
5. Re: New seawater management system proves its worth

Not sure of the technical detajl as only usd for watef temperature. However not always working and ghen gives information on other areas, not the carihuela. There is 4 pagex of information on watef quality etc.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
reviews: 193
6. Re: New seawater management system proves its worth

That iBeach APP and the idea of monitoring the quality of the water off Torremolinos appears to have foundered I think possibly because of lack of money from the local town hall to the private organisation offering its services. Pity because transparency of information is very important in my view about these matters.

For visitors to Andalucia who wish to swim in the sea or just enjoy the water it is good to have any news and views about the quality of the sea water. On another thread I mentioned the Blue Flag scheme which some readers may not be aware about. This is an annual "award" for the best overall beaches seen from many different angles not only the quality of the sea water. The current year awards for the Costa del Sol do not include beaches at Torremolinos nor nearby beaches.

List of beaches along the Costa del Sol (west of Malaga ) awarded the Blue Flag (Bandera Azul) for 2014 are on this web. http://www.adeac.es/

In Malaga Province (west of Malaga city) you find the following beaches listed as having a Blue Flag for quality:

Malaga City:

Malagueta-Caleta and El Dedo

Marbella:

Artola (Cabo Pino) , Venus-Bajadillo,, Guadalmina San Pedro, El Cable-Pinillo, Puerto Banus, Rio Verde, Faro

Estepona:

La Rada, El Cristo, El Padron

Manilva:

Gaviotas (El Castillo)

You can see a listing of all beaches that have been awarded the Blue Flag award for 2014 on here:

adeac.es/sites/…202014_0.pdf

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
reviews: 1
7. Re: New seawater management system proves its worth

You are probably right about lack of funds, Cadizlover, I just didn't want to put out information unless totally sure of the facts. In any event people should know if this system is working with daily analysis and updates or not, closing a thread asking for and giving pertinent information is beyond my comprehension.

Good point about Blue Flags but I do think that system was discredited after flying above Burriana Beach Nerja for so long. Hopefully they have got their act together as clear and factual information is so important especially on a coastline so built up and full of tourists. This management and reporting system sounded

ideal and of huge significance to many visitors as it would deal with unusual periodic events (illegal or natural) something Blue Flags will never be able to achieve IMO

Surely daily monitoring and loading onto the net must have mileage for someone to run with, potentially lucrative and a public service. I doubt we'll hear the last of this type of enterprise.

Stoofer

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
reviews: 193
8. Re: New seawater management system proves its worth

I agree that you need to be very circumspect about accepting the Blue Flag award but I did notice that Fuengirola beaches did have 7 Blue Flags then lost some over the years and last year lost them all !

To me this means that the Blue Flag people do have some teeth about decisions and may not rely on being too close to the local town halls. Surely the Town Halls who have lost this big Tourist draw need to do something but money is always an issue these days.

This shows a map of the Blue Flag beaches for 2014. Not many on the Costa del Sol.

laopiniondemalaga.es/elementosWeb/gestionCaj…

camberley
reviews: 15
9. Re: New seawater management system proves its worth

I used this

…europa.eu/themes/…bathing-water-data-viewer

This area comes out as very good I'm pleased to say.

I can't see "illegal dumping" as someone amusingly called it being reported to eagerly by the locals as it's not in their interests. And even if they did, as the original post came back with, it's gone so nothing to report.

London, UK
reviews: 55
10. Re: New seawater management system proves its worth

Well, it is hardly legal activity, is it? And what's amusing about it?

Edited: 1:43 pm, June 19, 2014