We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tee shirts or no tee shirts

Which Torremolinos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
reviews: 2
Tee shirts or no tee shirts

my son was walking down san miguel st this morning on his way to the beach with his wife and two children,he asked a policeman where the lift was to the beach and the policeman gave him directions,my son didnt have his t shirt on and the policeman never said anything to him,but a spanish woman came up to his wife and told her to tell my son to put his t shirt on as it wasnt allowed. are there rules or regs we should be sticking to (he did oblige),Need a reply soon he said its stiflin hot, we are from scotland so we feel the heat more than normal.

Torremolinos, Spain
1. Re: Tee shirts or no tee shirts

Hi there

There are no rules as such, but it's not a pretty sight when people are eating on the edge of the walkway and people walking along with no t shirts on, so i guess it's more of an etiquette thing!

Of course on the beach etc no problem at all, but i can't stand it when I'm in one of the nice Chiringuitos and having a lovely lunch, bottle of wine etc and someone walks in with their big fat belly hanging out - puts me right off my lunch - no need!!

Of course, i am not saying your son has a big fat belly haha, but you get the gist :) Maybe she thought he was intending walking into one of the shops like it - that would be frowned upon !!

CB

London, UK
reviews: 57
2. Re: Tee shirts or no tee shirts

I don't think there's any by-laws or anything like that's as CB says, but you should really put a shirt on if you're walking around town.

Around the beach is fine and even at most of the beach bars, but if it's an enclosed restaurant or Chiringuito then it's nice to put a shirt on.

You're under no obligation to do so of course, but Spain can be a quite conservative country and it shows some respect.

Edited: 1:31 pm, June 11, 2013
Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
reviews: 53
3. Re: Tee shirts or no tee shirts

I hate seeing men without at least a vest top on when we're out anywhere if they are just walking around the town. Its fine on the beach, I've no problem with that at all but I do think its a bit disrespectful not to put your shirt on when walking around the town and especially in a restaurant.

belfast
reviews: 22
4. Re: Tee shirts or no tee shirts

I agree that t shirts should be worn off the beach. Last year I found it horrible in the shops along the paseo to be confronted by bellies and sweaty armpits. To be fair I don't like to see women walking around shops and cafes in just bikini tops either. If t shirts are too warm there are lots of shops selling light linen and cotton shirts and tops. A bit of courtesy and respect for others goes a long way.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
reviews: 42
5. Re: Tee shirts or no tee shirts

One of the most frequent complaints about tourists are those that walk around town without a top. A loose fitting cotton T shirt will be as cool as, or cooler than, nothing. I have always found linen to be far too hot.

Why do people do it. The answer is on page one of chapter one of human behaviour. For young of both sexes the hope is that passers by will go Mmmmm. The sad thing is older men who think that is what passers by will do and in reality it is Ughhhhh!

Your sons aren't too hot, they are simply young males doing what young males do.

Edited: 9:40 am, June 12, 2013
Glasgow, United...
reviews: 2
6. Re: Tee shirts or no tee shirts

My son WAS too hot he was with his wife and two children,and he isnt one of those guys whos body is a temple, just a hard working lad on holiday with his family. wonder what you think of all the topless women on the beach?

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
reviews: 53
7. Re: Tee shirts or no tee shirts

Liz, I understand what you're saying but topless women and topless men on the beach are fine, its when you're wandering around the shops and in restaurants that most of us object to seeing hot sweaty bodies whilst we're sitting down eating a meal.

Torremolinos, Spain
8. Re: Tee shirts or no tee shirts

Liz, if you read the posts above you'll see that none of us object to anyone topless on the beach - walking around town or in bars etc is completely different!! I would object to anyone, male OR female being topless anywhere other than the beach!!

CB

grimsby lincs
reviews: 42
9. Re: Tee shirts or no tee shirts

I polish my glasses lol but you hit the nail on the head, they are on the beach. I am a 66 year old carrying excess weight around the midriff ie a fat B*****d and I do not wish to inflict my naked form to anyone other than when laid on the beach and always without fail wear my shirt if I go to a bar or chiringuito for a drink. Its good manners if nothing else.

Torremolinos, Spain
10. Re: Tee shirts or no tee shirts

I know the feeling tuts... i wouldn't dream of it.... i wouldn't want to see me in any other situation other than in the dark LOL

CB

Get answers to your questions about Torremolinos