We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marbella is for the rich and famous.

Which Marbella hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Marbella is for the rich and famous.

Why does the Media/People portray Marbella only for rich people? I always read that Marbella is for the rich, everyone is rich, money, rich, expensive, rich, did I mention rich? etc. What is with this image? You don't have to have a lot of money to live in Marbella, most people are your average joe middle class like the rest of Spain. it's not Beverly Hills. Who gave Marbella this image?

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid
reviews: 2,230
1. Re: Marbella is for the rich and famous.

Xander:

Yes, the majority of people in Marbella are middle class. However there are a lot of very rich people who live there. In the past the rich people were in the press all the time with their big parties. Marbella got the reputation of being the home of the jet set. Now they are much more discreet and do not want to appear in the news for personal security.

If you look around, there are many houses and apartments that start at 1 million euros, which is much more than other areas of Spain. However, nothing can compare with Beverly Hills.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
reviews: 50
2. Re: Marbella is for the rich and famous.

I agree with Benny. There are a lot of very rich people in Marbella and Puerto Banus and to be honest that's why a lot of the tourist (normal people) go there to see if they can see celebrities and the rich.

Puerto Banus was once a great place to see rich and famous but over the last few years its gone down hill, in my opinion, and has become a place where stag and hen (bachelor and bachelorette) parties congregate and the wannabees of the UK go to be seen with their fake tans, surgically enhanced faces and figures etc. Its certainly not the place it was because of the number of people who are now "celebs" for being on reality TV and no other reason.

Marbella, however, has changed less, I think, over the years. Its a family holiday resort but without the party goers that PB gets. We love to visit Marbella when we're in Spain and the old town is pretty and full of atmosphere (unless you go during siesta time when its very quiet and shops are shut!).

We used to go to PB for a day trip every visit but now it doesn't quite have the feel for us that it did before and we go to Marbella instead. Walk along the paseo, walk around the parks and the old town and have tapas and a drink - its also cheaper than PB!

London, United...
reviews: 7
3. Re: Marbella is for the rich and famous.

Years ago Marbella attracted film stars , pop stars etc but now seems to attract minor celebs from soaps and reality tv shows . But , Marbella and PB is still the home for the very rich Europeans from the UK to Russia and every where in between . If you look at the statistics , it becomes evident . For example more Ferrarris , Lamborghini, Bentley , RR per head than any where else in Europe .

Edited: 7:41 am, November 20, 2012
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
reviews: 24
4. Re: Marbella is for the rich and famous.

Tax rates have made Marbella less appealing to the very rich nowadays. When I first visited 60 years ago, lots of wealthy people, however, todays tax laws make staying there less attractive.

You no longer see the private helicoptors that used to shuttle from the airport every five minutes.

Now we are left with the likes of Max Clifford who try to still make it a part of the u.k. rather then embrace the local culture, hopefully, he and his mates will return to the u.k. full time.

5. Re: Marbella is for the rich and famous.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, November 23, 2013